Hybrid View

Default Which S.S.B receiver

Hi all,
    trying to decide which ssb receiver to fit. Had planned on the NASA HFS with an insulated backstay aerial but I read of someone getting excellent results with a 50 quid set and a wire aerial ! Unfortunately I have to count the pennies so cost is a prime issue. We will be cruising the caribbean, pacific and patagonia and would like to receive weather reports with it. Anyone got experience or knowledge of best way to go ?

Quote Originally Posted by blackdogsailing View Post
    Hi all,
    trying to decide which ssb receiver to fit. Had planned on the NASA HFS with an insulated backstay aerial but I read of someone getting excellent results with a 50 quid set and a wire aerial ! Unfortunately I have to count the pennies so cost is a prime issue. We will be cruising the caribbean, pacific and patagonia and would like to receive weather reports with it. Anyone got experience or knowledge of best way to go ?
    The set is a Degen DE1103 - Chinese, available mainly on eBay.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4...5449d1ca46e932

The Degen is the one that gets mentioned a lot, especially on the U.S. forums. Has anyone actually used one to get weather reports and which piece of software did you use ? Thanks for the helpful replies.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by blackdogsailing View Post
    The Degen is the one that gets mentioned a lot, especially on the U.S. forums. Has anyone actually used one to get weather reports and which piece of software did you use ? Thanks for the helpful replies.

Chris
    I used one for transat carib - UK. Just crocodile clipped the antenna onto the FM/cd radio aerial, which I now know isnīt ideal but worked fine with weatherfax all the way. Jvcomm free software does all that is needed for recieving wfax.

World schedule here..

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/rfax.pdf

brilliant, thanks Conachair. That's good enough for me !
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Conachair View Post
    I used one for transat carib - UK. Just crocodile clipped the antenna onto the FM/cd radio aerial, which I now know isnīt ideal but worked fine with weatherfax all the way. Jvcomm free software does all that is needed for recieving wfax.

World schedule here..

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/rfax.pdf
    There's a Degen loop antenna available on eBay too - not sure how good that would be.

I use an Eton g3-cost me Ģ40 hardly used on e bay.
    Its preferable to get a radio that is SSB capable-not all are
    Fix up a wire aerial up to mast head on messenger line(flag)-I just use 3 strand insulated copper-it improves the reception no end.