Default BSC costs for Sealines

Anyone have any experience or know how much to pass Sealine S37 of F33 through BSC? Newest model 2001. I know Glass fuel filters are an issue and won't be buying without holding tank/deck discharge. Anything else and related costs?

Elessar is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Cashbuyer View Post
    Anyone have any experience or know how much to pass Sealine S37 of F33 through BSC? Newest model 2001. I know Glass fuel filters are an issue and won't be buying without holding tank/deck discharge. Anything else and related costs?
    My S37 complies. The expensive things comply, you'll have to do a bit of labelling but not too much more. Check the fuel pipe is labelled as that can be surprisingly pricey but it should be for CE.
    The BSS isnt too hard a read you can easily go down the list and tick everything before the surveyor arrived.

OAF is offline Registered User

It shouldn't be a massive job and most things can be achieved easily, as you said, glass filter bowls are one, labelling of all isolators, gas soundness check, gas bottle secure,batteries secure,terminals covered,correct rated fire extinguishers and correct amount, simple stuff, go through the list and check yourself, most examiners are really helpful and will give guidance.

Toilets are not part of the BSC, however you are not supposed to use an external discharge if on inland waterways, so a holding tank is usefull, or a porta loo as a tempory measure if only visiting.

rafiki_ is offline Registered User

The glass filters can be made to comply using a flame deflector below the bowl.

Where do you get them from? Can't seem to find anyone who supplies them (for Racor's). Don't really like my metal bowls as I can't see what's in there..

Quote Originally Posted by rosssavage View Post
    Where do you get them from? Can't seem to find anyone who supplies them (for Racor's). Don't really like my metal bowls as I can't see what's in there..
    ASAP supplies at Beccles.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cashbuyer View Post
    Our 2002 Sealine S23 passed its first Boat Safety examinaion 4 years ago with no more than the addition of a fire blanket on board (not fixed to anything) and some stickers on things like the gas locker and fuel shut off. And it passed again in January 2012 with no issues.
    It has a sea toilet with no holding tank.
    A fire extunguisher in every compartment and an automatic extinguisher in the engine bay.
    The fuel filter is the metal cansister type with no drain.

Thanks Guys

Very helpful as per norm

There is a degree of variability about the BSC examiners. Some have particular beefs that they are more interested in than others. I found a particularly pernickerty one, and when I spoke to the BSC tech office, they dismissed most of the examiners issues, but left me with a problem with the fuel filters, as despite being screw in cannisters, the examiner failed the w-i-f sensor which is nylon, at the base of the cannister.

Ultimately CMD made some tin covers for the filters, came and fitted them, and I got my cert.

Actually I am quite happy in the knowledge that my boat has had a thorough inspection, but like the MoT test for cars, I also recognise that this is no guarantee.

When you see some of the sheds barely afloat, I question how well this is enforced!