Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Leaving before marina staff arrive

Quote Originally Posted by yesod View Post
    phone 'em up and pay by card? i've done that in the past and been let off a couple of times for being honest....
    We have been to a Solent marina, arrived late left early, phoned later with a card and were thanked and let off paying. Well done them

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    We have been to a Solent marina, arrived late left early, phoned later with a card and were thanked and let off paying. Well done them
    I have to add that nearly every boat we have seen doing this has been French but then again we did spend while in France. I ask this as a boat did this the other day here in Spain. He was French!

prv is online now Registered User

I've never had the "opportunity" in a marina, but I wouldn't expect to leave without paying. Must admit that phoning up to pay by card hadn't occurred to me as an option; I'll know now.

For whatever reason, I'm much more relaxed about leaving a visitors' mooring without having paid though. And I definitely wouldn't make an effort to give someone money for merely anchoring, in those places that want to charge for it.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
    boats that seem to come into marinas during the evening, hook up to power and water and then leave early in the morning
    The converse of this is boats that arrive and pay for say four days then need to leave for some reason after two.
    It's like extracting hens teeth to get a refund. Sometimes you are offered a credit note.

Quote Originally Posted by yesod View Post
    phone 'em up and pay by card? i've done that in the past and been let off a couple of times for being honest....
    This is what I've done on the couple of occasions I have not been able to find anyone. Plain daft not too if you intend to visit again.

AndyPandy is offline Registered User

Default FreeBee Marine Berth

If any of you guys can make it up the Tyne to Newcastle City Marina before the end of May, not only do you get 3 nights free (would be 28 a night for us) but free for the rest of the year!
    Not bad eh, and no need to 'catch the tide'

AngusMcDoon is offline Registered User

I arrived at about 11:50pm at Malahide marina intending to stay 2 nights. I went into the office where the night watchman took my details and filled in a visitor's card for later payment when the day staff were around. He said that I should go away for 10 minutes and come back, because then the date he'd put down would be the next day, and I would only be charged one night. What a star!
    Andersen 22. The best winch never made.

xyachtdave is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
    Anyone who goes to Ramsgate should be paid for doing so or taken away by men in white coats.

My views on Ramsgate are here.

http://www.cygnus3.com/index.php?p=1_26

Am I allowed to say 'oh no....not this **** again...'
    Last edited by xyachtdave; 01-05-12 at 21:11. Reason: Rymyes with Smichdt

I rarely use marinas...I don't like them....and, to be frank, if I felt I could get away with it, then I probably would. Having said that I have always found I've been able to pay when I have arrived.

Staying on club moorings and pontoons is entirely different. I always pay and, if necessary, send a cheque after the event. It usually ends up with a nice letter back.

I like the arrangement at the visitors pontoon in Campbelltown. You pay your fees at the tourist office. A chap goes round and takes names of all the boats in the evening. If you don't pay they post the name of your boat on the notice board at the end of the pontoons under the heading "boats that have left and forgotton to pay" or words to that effect.