Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Fire Suppression

Just had an insurance quote that stipulates an automatic fire extinguisher in the engine bay. I currently have 6 dry powders extinguishers around the boat plus a fire blanket in the galley.

What do people have in the way of fire fighting aboard.

4 small powders extinguishers, fire blanket, a larger foam extinguisher, 2 automatic fire extinguishers in the engine bay.
    Having time is unavoidable.

Ripster is offline Registered User

Auto (gas) in Engine, CO2 in locker, small powders all over about 6. Blanket in Galley. You can pick up a small auto for about 60-70 quid.
    Think outside the box.

Two auto gas extinguishers in the engine bay, one small powder in the galley, one office size Co2 in the wheelhouse, one office size foam and one office size powder split between the main cabins. No gas on board, all flammable liquids stored on deck. The only likely ignition source is an electrical fault so battery fuses fitted as well as all items on breakers/fuses and three smoke alarms.

It's three children sleeping on board that makes me take this level of care . Paranoid? Moi?
    Colvic Watson slideshow video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RayUzX7LZQ

prv is offline Registered User

2 litre foam at the bottom of the companionway, 1kg powder halfway along the cabin side, fire blanket by the cooker, and an auto foam in the engine bay which is quite old but still has good pressure and I'm told there's not much else to go wrong.

The larger foam was added by me, the rest were inherited.

Oh, and a bucket with lanyard that generally lives in the cockpit.

This is a small boat; chart table and galley either side of the companionway and then the rest of the cabin is a U-shape settee berth around the compression post. No separate forepeak etc.

Pete

William_H is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by pyrojames View Post
    Just had an insurance quote that stipulates an automatic fire extinguisher in the engine bay. I currently have 6 dry powders extinguishers around the boat plus a fire blanket in the galley.

What do people have in the way of fire fighting aboard.

You havn't said what sized engine and is it petrol or diesel fuel. All these things make a difference to the need to have an auto extinguisher in the engine compartment. My initial thoughts are that they don't want your business if they are demanding what is not a normal fitment or requirement. good luck olewill

Quote Originally Posted by pyrojames View Post
    Just had an insurance quote that stipulates an automatic fire extinguisher in the engine bay.
    Quote Originally Posted by William_H View Post
    My initial thoughts are that they don't want your business
    Maybe it's got something to do with your name?

Automatic extinguisher in the engine bay has been on my "to do" list since buying the boat 2 years ago and this thread has reminded me. Anyone have any links to sites with sizing / mounting best practices? (in my case, engine bay c. 2.5 cubic metres, 40HP diesel). I've got an idea from downloading the installation instructions from a couple of products but not seen anything "independent".

maxi77 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    Automatic extinguisher in the engine bay has been on my "to do" list since buying the boat 2 years ago and this thread has reminded me. Anyone have any links to sites with sizing / mounting best practices? (in my case, engine bay c. 2.5 cubic metres, 40HP diesel). I've got an idea from downloading the installation instructions from a couple of products but not seen anything "independent".
    All the ones I looked at specify the volume they are good for. Also they all say only one extinguisher, because if you have two because they will never fire at exactly the same time one pops off and fails to put the fire out because it is not big enough, fire keeps going and sets off number two and once again fails.

I know they are expensive but they are effective. I also changed most of mine to foam and had a 2 litre in the cockpit and 2 litre ones in the saloon with dry powders in the for and aft cabins
    Peter

Default My Rational

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    .... mounting best practices? ......
    The suppressants are designed to kill the fire based on a volume of space obviously. I understand that the suppressant is sized to allow for some excess and leakage. However you need to be careful if your engine bay has plenty of space and lots of access for air to get in. In my own case I mounted two of the recommended size port and starboard of the engine to ensure good coverage. My cockpit locker is separated by a loose fitting floor from the engine bay and there is a large gap under the floor that various pipes run through. I believe that this gap would provide good access / egress to the engine room for air or fumes to transverse. My rational was that any leakage of suppressant would be compensated for by the second extinguisher, assuming that it too activated.

Both extinguishers are mounted about 2/3 rds up from the engine bay sump to the top. This would allow the suppressant to release over the top instead of being directly inline with the block. IIRC the nozzle is pointing at a small shape which would direct the suppressant in a radial manner. Food for thought.
    Having time is unavoidable.