Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123

    Question Small Boat Channel in Cowes

    I see in PBO that there is a new "Small Boat Channel" in Cowes, running from the East side of the main channel opposite the Town Quay, to the end of the Shrape Breakwater.
    This looks like a usefull dodge to & from the East, anybody used it yet? any points that may be handy to note?
    We often leave Cowes on the Spring Stand, 2 hours after LW, to get back up to Fareham at HW. Going out it looks streight forward enough, but is it clear enough coming in or are you right in amongst the moorings?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MissIsle View Post
    I see in PBO that there is a new "Small Boat Channel" in Cowes, running from the East side of the main channel opposite the Town Quay, to the end of the Shrape Breakwater.
    This looks like a usefull dodge to & from the East, anybody used it yet? any points that may be handy to note?
    We often leave Cowes on the Spring Stand, 2 hours after LW, to get back up to Fareham at HW. Going out it looks streight forward enough, but is it clear enough coming in or are you right in amongst the moorings?
    Used it going out two weekends ago, about an hour before HW (springy) and had at least 4 metres depth all the way. We met a small yacht coming in just as you are closest to the breakwater and it felt like there wasn't much room to spare, but maybe I was just chicken!

    Coming in you would be right into the middle of the (Darings?) moorings. The marker buoys are adequate though.

  3. #3
    VicS is offline Registered User
    Location : Home: Kent. Boat: Chichester
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    31,679

    Default

    >
    Click on the picture for the full Local Notice to Mariners

    http://www.cowesharbourcommission.co...aftChannel.pdf

    Previously posted on here just over a month ago by l'escargot http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309864

    .
    Last edited by VicS; 01-05-12 at 21:12.

  4. #4
    lustyd's Avatar
    lustyd is offline Registered User
    Location : Me, Reading. Boat, Portsmouth
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,507

    Default

    Thanks for posting this, I hadn't seen it but hopefully going on Thursday.
    Vivacity 20, South Coast
    http://yachtlivemagic.blogspot.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Cheers VicS, thanks for that.
    I will use it on the way out first time before risking coming down through the OD's to the breakwater on the way in, but it will save playing Russian Roulette on the way out to Prince Consort on a Sunday morning.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    16,626

    Default

    There has been an additional buoy added since that notice, as taking a line to the Shrape post cut across shallower water



    http://www.cowesharbourcommission.co...stablished.pdf
    Warning - Internet forums may contain nuts

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    761

    Default

    Tried it a couple of weeks ago when leaving Cowes and heading over to Portsmouth. Seemed to have plenty of water underneath all the way.

    I think that it's one of those 'short cuts' that one treats with a bit of care until familiar but after a couple of uses, it will be very handy especially on busy weekends.

    However, it will be interesting to see how it functions with the sailing boats that use the adjacent swinging moorings, many of whom seem to sail off and onto their moorings. I presume that they wouldn't give way if under sail aiming for their mooring ball, and so anyone using this new route may have to keep a keen lookout and maybe take evasive action if they are around.

    Cheers

    Garold

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,089

    Default

    Interesting to note in the first LNTM
    Cross currents of up to 2.5 knots may be encountered in the small craft channel during spring tides.
    Care should be taken to adhere to the buoyed channel and not to enter the small craft mooring
    areas either side (prohibited areas).

    Do you have any details of the prohibited areas to hand?
    ۞

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    16,626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    Interesting to note in the first LNTM
    Cross currents of up to 2.5 knots may be encountered in the small craft channel during spring tides.
    Care should be taken to adhere to the buoyed channel and not to enter the small craft mooring
    areas either side (prohibited areas).

    Do you have any details of the prohibited areas to hand?
    They are the lined areas either side of the channel. There used to be a NTM saying that boats on passage shouldn't pass through the moorings at all. Now you can if you use the channel but not outside of it.
    Warning - Internet forums may contain nuts

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by l'escargot View Post
    There has been an additional buoy added since that notice, as taking a line to the Shrape post cut across shallower water



    http://www.cowesharbourcommission.co...stablished.pdf
    What a thoroughly good chap you are!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •