Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    mjf is offline Registered User

Henry - Viking was dropped in the USA last year - its Princess now

Ask Roger

Your skipper will have a commercially endorsed Yachtmaster offshore qualification

Who does not comply with the Col Regs by not displaying the correct day time anchor signal when at anchor ;-)
    M
    Last edited by mjf; 02-05-12 at 13:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
    Henry, leave the rainbow friendly. People who don't understand it will not register it and for those of us who do it's appreciated! In small B&Bs etc these things are noted otherwise it can just be awkward...

Also agree to change cost to charter rates or something else, plus mug shots of the crew.
    Thanks for that. As you say it just saves any awkwardness and we really aren't bothered.

Working on the mug shots. Have found a model locally who is not too expensive, good looking guy as well, finely toned not unlike my good self But less off putting

Rates is an easy change. Surprised it bothered people.

A few comments on the number of words / detail.

I am working to prune where possible an correct copy which doesn't run properly but I have a belief that the people who are actually going to book will keep coming back to the site and reading in more detail before getting in touch. I don't think someone will scan through bullet points and then make a booking. They may get in touch and ask for more info, but then why not just give them everything from the outset.

Once again thanks for the feedback everyone.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by henryf View Post
    Have a look at the individual place links on the bottom of the page.
    I realize you have put this together with winter photos but I think you should try to find 'happier' ones as soon as the weather allows.
    http://www.chartersolent.com/charter-in-lymington.php#

Lyminington is a great place full of charm and your photo captures it well but high tide without the winter survival clothing would make it more appealing.

Crowd of trippers sat on a bench with nothing to do and whats the one on the right doing, counting cracks in the pavement.

Get your crew to get dressed for the occasion (even if they take their wet weather gear off just for the snap) and have them mingle among the crowds looking ecstatic

Henry,

May I suggest where you have quoted speed (in excess 30 knotts) may be worth putting an M.P.H figure in brackets after for the non nautical types who think a knott is found in wood or string (other forms of knotts are commonly available) ....

Quote Originally Posted by henryf View Post
    Working on the mug shots. Have found a model locally who is not too expensive, good looking guy as well, finely toned not unlike my good self But less off putting
    Oi sweetheart, I'm blimmin expensive, I'll have you know. I'm just doing it at mates rates because you promised me a go on the big bed in the master cabin.

Looking and reading a lot better now Henry. Agree with what a few people have said about pictures. They can be a bit random when you're moving about the site. e.g. when I first land I get a great picture of the boat. Then click on the boat and get a pic of a sofa and coffee table or maybe a bed. Is there a way to randomize pics specifically for each page topic?

The gallery pics are nice in a jigsaw sort of way. Thought about getting some life in the pics. And more blue sky.

Agree with Sulley ref the rainbow friendly and think you've got it spot on on the landing page.

I prefer The Cost to Rates or whatever. To me comes across as friendlier but i know nowt about marketing. Have you thought about running the text past a good copywriter.

Just read you've lined up a couple of models so get em sitting in the cockpit, glass of bubbly in their hand and a great wake shot with blue skies (though could take a while to get that shot with the current weather )

mjf is offline Registered User

"When you consider the cost of buying such a substantial boat, maintaining it and covering all the expenses even when not actually being used then chartering makes a lot of sense."

You need to re-word this as it makes sense for you to charter it to others and visa versa

When I first read it I thought it was you justifying the biz plan not you applauding potential clients huge wisdom

Sorry to say this, but IMVHO, all the writing needs tightening up a lot. Sentences like this: "Should you wish to it may be possible to dispense with the crew member subject to ability making it like having your own private boat which you donít have to worry about for the rest of the year." need, (as I say, IMVHO) a the attentions of a good sub editor.

My comments for what they are worth, on the whole I like the site but:

At over 12k for a week, I would be expecting something close to 5 star
    I would want real milk I don't care how good you think your lactose free is, this statement makes me worry that you will start preaching health stuff to me. The last thing I would be expecting are instant noodles, nor burgers for lunch even though i like them, and certainly not pie and mash for dinner.

You do not include champagne as standard due to people's differing tastes does this mean you don't stock whiskey because some people don't like that? This seems like a poor excuse and makes me think what other exclusions might be being applied. I appreciate you are trying to make it plain what is included and what isn't, may be a a list of what is available and a comment that other drinks can be added by prior arrangement.

At these prices I am not at all interested in what the kitchen features and nor would my wife be, that is some else is problem.

The grey background and the many shady photos actually paint a fairly drab picture. get some sunshine in there - sell the sizzle !

As other have said pictures with cushions that are not perfect, says to me If you cannot be bothered to get the place ship shape for the most important marketing pictures you are ever going to take, whats it going to be like in real life?

I certainly think that a welcome glass of champagne would be a pre-requesiite, certainly would be for SWMBO even though I hate the stuff.

The drab and dark itinerary page is uninspiring get some sunshine in and livelier brighter pictures. If the best thing about lymington a rusty old fishing vessell, I dont want to go there.

I have been looking at the site for probably 1 hour and I have only just seen a picture of the boat! And now its on every screen - I do not think the revolving pictures is a good idea.

Sorry I am just trying to give some cosntructive critiscism.

jfm is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nickd View Post
    At over 12k for a week, I would be expecting something close to 5 star
    Yuo can alsways look at an absolute number like £12k/week and think "Cor blimey that's a lot" but so is the new price of a 2012 50er mobo. I think that being fair to Henry it is actually offering very good value. Either on absolute economics or in comparison with other things.

For example, if you assume £1900/day charter fee, the margins left to the operator after allowance for VAT leakage and variable costs (incl allowance for labour even if Henry drives) are perhaps £1050/day and measuring that against a £800k asset whose usefulness is maybe 100 days/year tells you that Henry is not overcharging. Lots of boats charter well at similarish prices. And lots of people think nothing of a £12k cheque as one element of a holiday's cost. Try to get any change from Ä3k a night for a 5 star hotel on the slopes in Courchevel1850 in season, just to make a random example