Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bodge artistes of the world unite...

...in helping fudge a solution to this one.

These are the jib fairleads/cars that run on 25mm tracks alongside the coachroof on my 'new' Copland Foxcub. One is fine, and the other, clearly, isn't.

A trip to my local Force 4 today generated the donkey-choking quote of 45 quid. I'm loath to spend 10% of the cost of the boat on this, so thought I'd ask on the forum whether anyone had any better ideas.

It's marked as a Barton. More than that, I know not. I don't even know what I'm searching for on eBay... The understand on the knackered one is countersunk, but it's not a screw head on the good one (on the underside) - it's just where the track has marked it.

Any ideas, anyone..? How can I sort either a replacement or a fudged 'repair'?

Cheers

davidej is offline Registered User

What about drilling out the fairlead and then inserting a pop-rivet from the underside of the slider into the hole you have drilled?
    davidej

Could you weld a nut to the top of the damaged slide and screw in a short shank eye bolt?
    Jonathan / Aeolus

Why not buy one of these and attach it to the track slider ?

http://www.jimmygreen.co.uk/item/619...lseye-fairlead
    Last edited by parsifal; 02-05-12 at 18:08.
    'The lyf so short
    the arte so long to lerne.'

Go to your local stainless shop and get a countersunk headed bolt that fits more or less flush on the underside of the car. Buy a couple of spare nuts & washers as well, the length of the bolt should be maybe 1 1/2in.
    With the threaded bolt sticking up you are in a positon to improvise most things, perhaps a block from a boat jumble.

You could consider using a stainless eye bolt and peening the end of The thread over before filing it flat underneath the track car.

rib is offline Registered User

parsifal has the answer surely

onesea is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by parsifal View Post
    Why not buy one of these and attach it to the track slider ?

http://www.jimmygreen.co.uk/item/619...lseye-fairlead

Just watch it you are already 1/2 way to the price your local chandler has quoted, some times its better to bight the bullet..

At times this can be heart braking the costs of simple spares (lavac toilet hinges ) can be extortionate, so do not break anything* .

As for ebay try search for "sheet"&"track" or "sail"&"track" you could try replacing "track" with "slide" or "car" could be dinghy or yacht**.

* Easier said than done last time out it was aboat hook

** I am not responsible for any random non boaty results such searches could raise or any purchase caused

Lakesailor is online now Registered User

Just get a u-bolt secured bullseye, get the saddle welded to the car. If getting stainless welded is trick just use mild steel. Keep it painted.

Saddle

I do have some tracks and cars from an old boat, but they only have an eye on them, you'd have to clip a sheave on yourself (more money)
    PM if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Reptile Smile View Post
    I don't even know what I'm searching for on eBay...
    It's called a Barton Bullseye Slide.

You could try Foulkes Chandlery Barge. That's a floating yacht scrapyard at Bursledon. They do mail order, I think.

http://www.chandlerybarge.co.uk/default.asp
    'The lyf so short
    the arte so long to lerne.'