Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lessons learnt

Hybrid View

lustyd is offline Registered User

Default Lessons learnt

As a new season approaches there are probably a lot of new sailors about to make their first trips. I thought it may be nice for them (and us) to benefit from the hindsight of others. Please post your tips on things that you have learned which now seem obvious.

I'll start the ball rolling with water. The 5 litre giant bottles may seem like good value, and are usually the first choice for a new sailor. They are however difficult to pour from into anything but the kettle so now I go for the 1litre sports cap bottles which I can take on deck to drink from or fill the kettle.
    Vivacity 20, South Coast
    http://yachtlivemagic.blogspot.com

SlimRick is offline Registered User

Stugeron sea sickness tablets - keep some in, nothing will put a new sailor off quicker than a bout of sea sickness.
    Last edited by SlimRick; 02-05-12 at 20:35. Reason: Damn Autocorrect!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SlimRick View Post
    Sturgeon sea sickness tablets - keep some in, nothing will put a new sailor off quicker than a bout of sea sickness.
    I prefer the non-fish variety, Stugeron.

Always rig a gybe preventer when running, it stops gybes.

Alchemist V274 is offline Registered User
    Location : Home Norfolk, Boats in Brightlingsea and Ipswich, will work anywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    Disagree - a good helmsman will stop a gybe. A preventer will delay the boom coming across when you gybe unexpectedly. If you do rig one - make it easy to release when you are heeled over at an odd angle after that unexpected broach.

Alchemist V274 is offline Registered User
    Location : Home Norfolk, Boats in Brightlingsea and Ipswich, will work anywhere!

Communicate clearly - if crew are inexperienced dont use boaty words they may not understand.

Brief well in advance of any manouver what is planned to happen, what could happen, what the fall back plan is.

Rig fenders and warps both sides for a marina. I have been told by marina staff the berth is port side too - only to find it isnt! Easier to take them off when secured, than have to put them on in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Karouise View Post
    Disagree - a good helmsman will stop a gybe. A preventer will delay the boom coming across when you gybe unexpectedly. If you do rig one - make it easy to release when you are heeled over at an odd angle after that unexpected broach.
    Can you lend me one for the short handed trips when we run for a few hours under autopilot, I find a gybe preventer led back to a sheet winch adds greatly to my peace of mind ;-)

G12 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    Well no, it doesn't stop the gybe.... it just stops the boom flying across the boat if you accidentally gybe. :-p

It is good advice.
    The prudent see danger and seek refuge.

You are sailing along with other boats around. Suddenly you notice they have all gone. Wonder why.
    In my experience something awful is about to happen

Talking

We keep Sturgeron on board, not for sea sickness, but because it puts the kids to sleep when we fancy sitting oin the cockpit with a bottle of wine!
    The NSPCC may call it abuse, we call it sanity!