Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Burnham Bob is offline Registered User

Default how do holding tank pump outs work?

having only ever emptied the tank by using the macerator pump at sea, i was wondering how they do it at marina pump outs. do they simply stick a long tube down the deck access hole until they reach the tank?

any restrictions on the length of the pump out tube? havng read another post on difficulty with some bilge tanks i was wondering about mine which is actually under one of the bunks in the foc'sle.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnham Bob View Post
    having only ever emptied the tank by using the macerator pump at sea, i was wondering how they do it at marina pump outs. do they simply stick a long tube down the deck access hole until they reach the tank?

any restrictions on the length of the pump out tube? havng read another post on difficulty with some bilge tanks i was wondering about mine which is actually under one of the bunks in the foc'sle.
    go to the Blakes Lavac schematic details there
    I may be wrong but not always

Burnham Bob is offline Registered User

been there sailorman and they are helpful on pumping out using the Lavac pump buy no mention I can find of what marina pump out stations do - although i imagine its fairly simple and much as i described. i'm just curious as we're off soon to the continent and will be usin pump outs

been there sailorman and they are helpful on pumping out using the Lavac pump buy no mention I can find of what marina pump out stations do - although i imagine its fairly simple and much as i described. i'm just curious as we're off soon to the continent and will be usin pump outs
    not many pump-outs ready,according to recent post from Dutch Forumites

Do you have the standard pumpout fitting with a dip tube into your tank? The pumpout stations work by vacuum, so you need to have a large capacity breather as well. As Sailoman says, despite all the hype there are very few pumpout stations so you will almost certainly have to use your own pump at sea. Check with the marinas you plan visiting to find out if they have facilities.

Know it is not "le continent", but in Poole with 8000 resident boats and hundreds of visitors there is only one pumpout facility!

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    Do you have the standard pumpout fitting with a dip tube into your tank? The pumpout stations work by vacuum, so you need to have a large capacity breather as well. As Sailoman says, despite all the hype there are very few pumpout stations so you will almost certainly have to use your own pump at sea. Check with the marinas you plan visiting to find out if they have facilities.

Know it is not "le continent", but in Poole with 8000 resident boats and hundreds of visitors there is only one pumpout facility!
    Holy Shit

Yep! Good thing we have strong tides here - also you should see the size of the mullet frollicking around my boat this afternoon.

William_H is offline Registered User

Default Pump out facility

Our club fitted a pump out facility about 2 years ago. I have never seen it used however it was fitted to show lip service to the environmental rules. (at great cost)
    I have often wondered how it works. A sign says no one is to use it unless they have been trained.
    I would find it difficult to imagine it could work on suction unless the ships tank has a pump out connection which in itself is a long tube to the bottom of the tank. The shore based gear only seems to have a hose connection. olewill still wondering how it works.

Robin is offline Registered User

We had a pump out this afternoon. The pumpout boat arrived with a long hose and a soft sink plunger type end fitting which the guy fitted on the waste fitting on deck and it simply sucked it out. I was told it sucked roughly one gallon per second, so 20 seconds of suck is 20 gallons of goop. In our USA marina, overboard pumpouts are forbidden unless you are more than 3 miles out to sea and the overboard valves must be locked closed or you face big fines and yes they do enforce it. No problem as a weekly pumpout in the berth is free and if you need more just go on the fuel berth for it.
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

sailorbaz is offline Registered User

Default Pump outs

Quote Originally Posted by William_H View Post
    Our club fitted a pump out facility about 2 years ago. I have never seen it used however it was fitted to show lip service to the environmental rules. (at great cost)
    I have often wondered how it works. A sign says no one is to use it unless they have been trained.
    I would find it difficult to imagine it could work on suction unless the ships tank has a pump out connection which in itself is a long tube to the bottom of the tank. The shore based gear only seems to have a hose connection. olewill still wondering how it works.
    The local council installed one on the dock at Huskisson in Jervis Bay but I've never seen it used. It's kept locked and there is a phone number if you want to use it. There are half a dozen or so whale/dolphin watching boats which have toilets on board, so would have thought I would have seen one use it by now.
    Most of Jervis Bay is a Marine Park but I was told by the licensing authority that there is no requirement to have a holding tank, which I find surprising.
    Sailorbaz
    Our boat has a Porta Potti so nothing goes overboard