Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AHoy2 is offline Registered User

Exclamation Shingles Bank - moved about a bit?

Sailing out of the Solent westbound today (2nd) via Hurst/North Channel around 11:30 and noted that a significant amount of the Shingles Bank was showing well above the water with tide at the time around 2m above datum. The recent stormy weather seems to have moved a lot of gravel about - beware if you are in the habit of taking shortcuts.

BTW: excellent sailing day

Seajet is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AHoy2 View Post
    Sailing out of the Solent westbound today (2nd) via Hurst/North Channel around 11:30 and noted that a significant amount of the Shingles Bank was showing well above the water with tide at the time around 2m above datum. The recent stormy weather seems to have moved a lot of gravel about - beware if you are in the habit of taking shortcuts.

AHoy2,

thanks, that is excellent info' to have !

Tidewaiter2 is offline Registered User
    Location : Now will we actually get out of the Solent in 2014 the way this season is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    AHoy2,

thanks, that is excellent info' to have !
    +1, Ta V Much. We go West in a fortnight or so.
    "Journos Luxury Yacht"=a hole in the water for time, money,affection,blood,sweat n tears

beware if you are in the habit of taking shortcuts.
    Guilty as charged, thanks

Thanks for the info, very useful especially as there is a group of us from the forum planing to go there on Saturday.
    Looking for Cheverton boats to feature on http://cheverton.org.uk/

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

Seems to happen quite frequently autumn/winter/spring then reverts to normal during the summer. Or maybe it's the summer that's abnormal.

Or maybe it's just waiting for Miss Amy Roadstone to come along with one of her dredgers?
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Angele is offline Registered User

I'm pretty sure it was like that for most/all of last year. Much higher than charted.

I observed that from both sea level and also from the cliffs overlooking the Needles.

I think there were one or two comments on here to that effect, IIRC.

Talulah is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Angele View Post
    Much higher than charted.
    I'm curious if the latest Solent charts have been amended. I threw out the old ones so can't compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    Seems to happen quite frequently autumn/winter/spring then reverts to normal during the summer. Or maybe it's the summer that's abnormal.

Or maybe it's just waiting for Miss Amy Roadstone to come along with one of her dredgers?
    Does Amey Roadstone still exist??

Quote Originally Posted by Talulah View Post
    I'm curious if the latest Solent charts have been amended. I threw out the old ones so can't compare.
    I doubt it, the bank constantly moves through the season, the charts would need updating almost weekly depending on weather conditions. I wouldn't rely on any charted depths over the shingles.

Have a look towards the bottom of this page, there is a picture as well: http://www.solentirc.org.uk/

Last year it was claimed as a new island by the Royal Southern YC: http://hamble.boatshed.com/shingles-bank-blog-6343.html

but it had disappeared again by the summer as it usually does.
    Warning - Internet forums may contain nuts