Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    pcatterall is offline Registered User

Default Urgent ais info required.

Hubby about to depart Isle of Wight to Le Havre.His P.C. has gone bust. It had an 8 pin connector for the AIS. New Computer has just USB connectos. He recalls that he can adapt the lead, but can't remember how to do it. Can anyone help ? thankyou.

Quote Originally Posted by pcatterall View Post
    Hubby about to depart Isle of Wight to Le Havre.His P.C. has gone bust. It had an 8 pin connector for the AIS. New Computer has just USB connectos. He recalls that he can adapt the lead, but can't remember how to do it. Can anyone help ? thankyou.
    You need a serial to USB adaptor lead. Try Maplins.

The old interface was probably a 9 pin serial (count them again :-). You need a serial to usb adapter which is realistically a purchase. There's allegedly a Maplin in Newport. If there's no shops selling computer stuff closer you could nip over there.

Edit: seems I was beaten to the same suggestion, but I'll augment my post with the news that Newport maplin's have 5 usb to serial adapters in stock at a whisker under a score.
    Last edited by laika; 03-05-12 at 09:05. Reason: added stock info

earlybird is offline Registered User

Sure it's not 9 pin? If it is, then a usb to serial adapter is needed; ebay??

I dont know why they got rid of serial ports on a laptops and PC,s I hate usb to serial port adaptors. What ever you do do not lose the disc that comes with it. The installation software is not generic and will not work with different adaptor hardware. you might if you are unlucky have some problems getting the navigation software to recognise the com port but there are lots of threads on YBW.

Quote Originally Posted by pcatterall View Post
    he would not be the first to x channel without it
    I may be wrong but not always

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rogersimms View Post
    I dont know why they got rid of serial ports on a laptops and PC,s I hate usb to serial port adaptors. What ever you do do not lose the disc that comes with it. The installation software is not generic and will not work with different adaptor hardware. you might if you are unlucky have some problems getting the navigation software to recognise the com port but there are lots of threads on YBW.
    I still miss the quill pen, let alone the typewriter!
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    I still miss the quill pen, let alone the typewriter!
    i still use the typewriter i got as a kid at Christmas, its slow but no typos
    I may be wrong but not always

NASA sell a serial/USB adaptor. I have one works fine. Cautioned about buying an off the shelf one, but that might just be "marketing", so the Maplins one may be OK.

As above ... 9 pin serial to USB.

I have just bought one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2209695731...#ht_3446wt_972

for the same purpose.