Bugg.......r it I'm out
I am not happy, I'm bloody furious, I'm out of this year's Jester.
After 2 years preparation and loads of new gear etc. Last week end my engine/gearbox started to play up. A weekend run ashore to Calais and back has identified an internal problem. The engine/gearbox will have to be lifted out etc.
There is not enough time for the boatyard and engineers to do this and have it ready before the start date - I have to leave on 17th May to get down to the start.
If it is not too expensive I may be able to get down to Gibraltar - I had planned to call in there on the way back from the Azores.
How about all this year's failed Jesters going next year instead of waiting 4 years?
David that is really bad news. It is bad enough taking a week off and finding a problem, but really frustrating for the challenge.
However, do you really need to write this one off yet? Is it possible to move the engine whilst still in the water and get the box off, if getting a lift is going to slow things down? You may still have time if you can get some good engineering time in, and even if you are a week late in starting it could still happen. Don't give up yet.
I plan to get a second opinion over the weekend, I have spoken to one of the Marina engineers - he will not be able to do the job but his knowledge base is invaluable.
Believe me if it is possible - I'll be there !!
All the best - David
VERY sorry to hear that David, BUT
Remember, "there are no rules" I started the Jester Azores Challenge 2008 -, 6 days after the start gun. I'd sailed from Newcastle to Torquay (700 miles) and was there a week early for the start. 6.0 a.m on Sunday morning, 1 week before the start, I got a phone call. My son was critical in hospital. I went home and when I was sure he was going to be fine, I returned and sailed into Plymouth QAB then after speaking to Ewen, he said " There are no rules, you start after the gun and your still in the challenge, 4 competitors had retired so far, therefore as long as you make it to the Azores, you cant be last" he gave me the Jester burgee and I set sail 242 deg. 6 days after everyone else.
I sailed into Pri da Vitoria 191/2 days later. I was the last one in by a few days, placed at 28th out of 43 starters.
Still plenty of time for meeting loads of skippers still there and still having fun. SO pleased I went.
Malcome (Ex. Helix skipper)
Quite a blow, David. Hope something turns up to fix it so you can start. Best wishes, Tony.
I share your sadness. you can cry after a lot of efforts and sacrifices.
Unfortunately, likely I am going to join you on the side.
I had too a little accident, the boat is off water. I don't know if I could repair for to be at the start in time.
I read very well your last sentence. If I have to wait, I don't want to quit.
why waiting 4 years ? you are right alone the spirit is true.
I wish you good courage.