Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I think that if you have identified a place where you would like to be berthed and are serious about it - don't ring - go in person.

Many years ago I was talking to someone about moving my berth to the SW (I was based in N Wales at the time). He mentioned Plymouth as a good base but ventured that berths were few & far between for my size.

My wife (pregnant) & I just decided to have the next weekend down there & ask around. Most places were full but at the Mayflower the harbourmaster said there was one berth available for my size of boat. I said straight away that I would take it. I honestly believe that if you're on the spot you have more chance (later experiences while cruising further afield have confirmed this IMO). We had four very happy years there.

25931 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by loverobot View Post
    Could anyone with up to date knowledge of the above please advise as to the good / bad points esp as it will be my first Marina and not sure really what to be looking for? As a positive it seems very good value for a pontoon mooring but the land-side and the marina itself isnt too picturesque

Any first hand experience / advice is appreciated - also if you can suggest better alternatives I am very open to suggestions

I am looking for a marina I can do day / weekend trips from initially so short hops to other marinas and back sort of thing - I do not intend on it being a base for more than a season as have other plans!

Thanks
    Perhaps your plans for the future could include the Algarve. You could be aboard as quickly and have a fair chance of sailing.
    Dum spiro spero. Cras ingens iterabimus aequor.

loverobot is offline Registered User

Lol algarve - maybe later!? I can charter to my hearts content abroad but want to sail in and around the uk initially at least
    Last edited by loverobot; 05-05-12 at 18:35.

Our boat spent several happy years in Fleetwood. It's true that you are limited by the tides but the Irish Sea beckons, with some great destinations. After a few years on a mooring in the SW the boat is now back in a marina (very expensive).
    Fleetwood rates are quite reasonable, there is a very friendly and sociable yacht club on site, and I believe facilities have been updated.Plus, there is more than average room between the pontoons and finger berths. I now find my new berth much trickier. If you're new to marina life this may be a consideration.

fastjedi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rosa View Post
    Our boat spent several happy years in Fleetwood. It's true that you are limited by the tides but the Irish Sea beckons, with some great destinations. After a few years on a mooring in the SW the boat is now back in a marina (very expensive).
    Fleetwood rates are quite reasonable, there is a very friendly and sociable yacht club on site, and I believe facilities have been updated.Plus, there is more than average room between the pontoons and finger berths. I now find my new berth much trickier. If you're new to marina life this may be a consideration.
    I'd forgotten that .... acres and acres of space compared to south coast marinas + no current and most probably little windage. Everyone was very friendly the weekend I was there. Good modern washrooms too. Pricing probably about right given the limited access and fishy smell :-)

Jim@sea is offline Registered User

What about Liverpool Marina. I was quite impressed. As I have a boat on a trailer I am interested in Slipways. The slipway at Liverpool seemed quite wide and was part of the marina. but when I went to look at the one at Fleetwood the Marina Office said that the slipway had nothing to do with them and there appeared to be obstructions. The Slipway at Whitehaven has a problem. (my trailer has to be totally submerged to float the boat off) as every time I reversed my trailer down the slipway there is an obstruction at the bottom which stopped my trailer going down far enough, and when you are towing a 2 ton boat up and down a slippery slipway its no fun. Last time as I could not go down far enough the boat fell off the back of the trailer. And sending the empty trailer down the slipway is a nightmare, I must have tried 30 times to get past the obstruction. Of course they have a crane, but if I could afford the crane I would have a bigger boat. But I may go to Hollyhead. I was there for 10 years from 1976.
    Mind you Fleetwood is closer for me (48 miles). The roads leading to Whitehaven are still as wide as when the Romans built them (66 miles) And then there is Glasson Dock. (15 miles) the most inhospitable place I have ever been to. After spending money in the Marina Shop I returned and asked if could use the toilets. Sorry she said "Its for the use of berth holders only"
    Last edited by Jim@sea; 09-05-12 at 06:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim@sea View Post
    The Slipway at Whitehaven has a problem.
    The water level does go up and down, maybe you were there when it was low.

I retrieved my 17' bilge keeler with no problem, but I did use the old slipway.

Have you tried Maryport? Workington? Parton?