Thread: Jaguar 27?

loverobot is offline Registered User

Default Jaguar 27?

Could anyone give me opinions on the above as a first yacht for 2 people to sail - are they safe boats specifically? I ask because I am likely to be singl-handing or crewed by a novice 12 year old

I am looking at a couple at the moment as a stopgap until my wife is ready to take the plunge properly and we buy something bigger in a year / two

I know they are lighter built than the sadlers etc but my wife is unlikely to be sailing much (in the UK at least) for at least a year due to impending baby - she will come out but is realistic about this which is fair enough

Also - can you lead the controls back to the cockpit? The couple I am looking at dont seem to have this - the winches are on the actual mast for the halyards etc - wondered if it would foul the larger than normal companionway hatch - and would it be v expensive to do this

Sailing Holidays have used them since Noah was a lad so they can't be all bad.

http://www.sailingholidays.com/

I had a Jauar 25 and would agree that they are not heavily built, but they are robust enough.

If you are only keeping the boat a couple of years I don't see much point altering lots of things to suit you, but it's your choice.

The 27 has better headroom than the 25 which is good.

The sloping bulkhead is a pain, it rains in if the washboards are out so you really need a spray hood or close everything up when it's raining.

I had other issues which were more related to learners in fluky/gusty winds on inland waters but hopefully they won't affect you.

HTH
    Bob.
    Any bull in this post may be composted.

Wunja is offline Registered User

I frequently sail my Jag 27 with a 12 year old crew - though he is 14 now.

Main halyard, two reefing lines and down haul are lead aft, there is just enough room between the grab handle and the hatch sliders for two or three lines per side, though no room for a winch, but its not necessary.

The only vice is that it will round up if over canvased and excessive heel.
    Vince
    Dutch chapter of the East Coast Forum _/)_*_

Laurie is offline Registered User

Have had a J27 for 14 years, only selling last autumn.
    These boats sail very well, & if (as any boat) it is well found/set up, is a comfortable and capable performer in a seaway. Ideal for a small family, and a great sub 30 foot cruiser that will go better than many of it's contemporaries.
    Whilst it's true that they were "thrown " together, CYB the builders being at the forefront of modular volume construction, the fact that so many survive speaks for itself.
    If it looks right, and the 27 does, then it probably is............

Have sailed J27s with Sailing Holidays a few times and now own a J25 (which is very similar). I don't have vast experience with other boats, so cant give a valid comparison, but I sail my J25 single handed and would be happy to do so in a J27. I lead my lines back to the cockpit, it wasn't hard to do.
    If you're buying, the only unusual thing to watch-out for is the original ball-hed toilet. They aren't well liked these days, but you're pretty unlikely to come across one. (If you're unsure what kind you've got, look down the pan, if you can see out to the sea, it's a ball-hed.)

Laurie is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    Have had a J27 for 14 years, only selling last autumn.
    These boats sail very well, & if (as any boat) it is well found/set up, is a comfortable and capable performer in a seaway. Ideal for a small family, and a great sub 30 foot cruiser that will go better than many of it's contemporaries.
    Whilst it's true that they were "thrown " together, CYB the builders being at the forefront of modular volume construction, the fact that so many survive speaks for itself.
    If it looks right, and the 27 does, then it probably is............

If I can help with any further info., please give me a shout as I (as has been said before....) set up & ran the Jaguar assoc., for years......

Alchemist V274 is online now Registered User
    Location : Home Norfolk, Boats in Brightlingsea and Ipswich, will work anywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Wunja View Post
    The only vice is that it will round up if over canvased and excessive heel.
    I wouldnt call that a vice, it is good design. Not quite as good as a Cutlass of course but you do get better accom!