Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default East Coast Motorboat to take the ground?

Hi,

Friday night stupidness:

Is there a mobo equivalent to a bilge/twin keel yacht, that can take the ground for use on the East coast?

Please don't beat me up if this is a stupid question ...I just want to know whether a mobo is a bad idea for a drying mooring.

I.E. is there a type of mobo that will sit-upright rather than flop over to one side ...and is the hull going to take a battering off rocks and stones?

Thanks
    My Macwester Malin website, blog & photobank http://macwester.wordpress.com

Any planing mobo with outdrive leg/s should do the job, but those what really know will be along soon.

Quote Originally Posted by yodave View Post
    I.E. is there a type of mobo that will sit-upright rather than flop over to one side ...and is the hull going to take a battering off rocks and stones?
    I don't think it's such a daft question, although I'd be a tad wary of your 'rocks' bit. Our old mobo had a flat keel, and a skeg going under each prop and onto the rudder mounting, see pic. She sat quite well on the ground when the tide dropped. There's a thread here currently about yacht legs, take a look.

PaulGooch is offline Registered User

Our Merry Fisher 805 will dry out OK, we have tested that by sitting on the bottom at Wells a couple of times.
    Jeanneau Merry Fisher 805 For Sale. www.gooch.co.uk

Default Thanks

Rubber duck; thanks for your reply. Yacht legs aren't quite what I'm looking for as they are a bit of an after thought, that doesn't really tick all the boxes. They won't protect the hull for example, they need effort to install and remove ...and they're a tad flimsy.

Gravygraham; that's the sort of thing that I was thinking of. What make and model of boat is that? Are there similar makes and models out there?

PaulGooch; good luck with your sale. I'd imagine your MerryFisher isn't all that level when the tide goes out, and would worry about the hull as the she dries out / floats. Am I wrong?

Thanks again.
    My Macwester Malin website, blog & photobank http://macwester.wordpress.com

PCUK is offline Registered User

A couple of simple steel skegs will make any boat sit up on hard ground. Isn't the East coast all soft mud though?

Quote Originally Posted by PCUK View Post
    A couple of simple steel skegs will make any boat sit up on hard ground. Isn't the East coast all soft mud though?
    Lots of mud but lots of it is quite hard, even in the upper reaches of the Deben the yacht harbour has to craete an artificially dredged basin for the non bilge keel yachts and mobos to float in at low tide, even though the mud bank has built up to about 1.5m higher than the low water mark. Very few places have the kind of mud you sink into. Not like Fleetwood where I sailed as a boy, you could loose a whole yacht in that stuff
    Colvic Watson slideshow video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RayUzX7LZQ

Quote Originally Posted by yodave View Post
    Gravygraham; that's the sort of thing that I was thinking of. What make and model of boat is that?
    It's a Kent 33, made by Cory Yachts. They also made a 27 and a 31, all with single or twin engine installations - of course you'll only be interested in the twins. Here's a 31 I found for sale although this one's in Holland and only has one engine. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2005...nd/Netherlands

Default An afterthought

I don't know how soft your mud is, but NoMainShipTom (formerly MustangTom) of this parish parked his skeg-less mobo on (or should that be in) the soft mud in the creek where he berths. I have to admit it would worry me and I'd be concerned the shafts would get bent and the raw intakes would get stuffed up with mud. Having said that, Tom never suffered any troubles.

The "Profile 33" was a good bilge keel design in its day, twin engine displacement boat, and took the ground very well. Also excellent as a twin for exploring shallow water (eg inland, estuary, etc).

Profile 33
    Ocean Froggie