Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Clachan Sound and Bridge over the Atlantic - Passage Planning

We are planning to travel in a 6m RIB with 140hp from Oban to Craighouse on the SE coast of Jura in late May / early June

A fair weather plan includes a scenic trip West of Seil, Lunga and Scarba, then East through the Corryvreckan and South into the Sound of Jura.

A more sheltered route for inclement weather, is a passage along the Clachan Sound between Seil and the mainland, under the “Bridge over the Atlantic”.

I would be very grateful if anybody has first hand knowledge of navigating what appears to be a very narrow and shallow passage, particularly to the Northern end around Eilean nam Beathach and any timings to suit tides etc

Many thanks

TQA is offline Registered User

It is definitely doable as I waterskied round Seil many years ago. The boat was a 14 ft Attacker with a 40 hp outboard.

I remember the passage under the "Bridge over the Atlantic" past the "Inn of the Trousers".

We did have a local guy with us as a guide.
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

A lot of expertise from that part of the world can be found on the http://www.bluemoment.com/forum/index.php.

underdog is offline Registered User

Default Clachan sound

I remember a passage through the Clachan sound with my father in his Westerly 22 in about 1965. We had a moment of panic on approaching the bridge as to whether there would be sufficient clearance under the bridge for us to navigate. The anchor was hastily thrown over the bow in order for an assesment to be made as to whether our gunter rigged boat would fit under. It did!!!!

nevis is offline Registered User

Yes i went down the sound in a dinghy it was great fun at full ebb,went as far as Balvicar.when i went back we had to pull the dinghy as there wasnt enough water to motor up it.

I suppose it would be much too obvious to go the direct route that everyone else uses down the Sound of Luing to Crinan and then the Sound of Jura, the only bit which is ever a bit lumpy is off Easdale but you can avoid most of that by going through the harbour. Tourist ribs work out of there in most weathers.
    I am sure Siel Sound will be ok in a carefully navigated rib at high tide but I think it might be worth driving over to Clachan Bridge at low water and talking a walk to spot where the biggest rocks are and what cover they have at high water.

Default Make sure there's enough water

and, probably advisable not to go through on the plane.
    I knew someone who attempted it in a power boat, back in the seventies, at high speed. He made it under the bridge, but lost his gearbox on the way through
    It would never occur to me to go that way as a matter of routine, I've made the passage often in my 4.9m RIB, but always to the west of Seil Island.
    CJ

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

They took a severn (?)class lifeboat through there a couple of years ago iirc...

Here it is...

For the uninitiated...

Billjratt is offline Registered User

We went through in an NB 7point-something stern-drive powerboat a few years ago. High tide required, slowly and be prepared to clear weed from the prop, but nae probs.
    Left hand down a bit.

dutyhog is offline Registered User

When you look over the bridge at lowish tide it looks more like a puddle than the Atlantic, and hardly navigable, but I suppose nearer high water it's OK with only an outboard down. And going this way round the island has the advantage of not having to walk over from Puilladobhrain to the Truish.
    Last edited by dutyhog; 06-05-12 at 00:58.
    Corribee 21 > Contessa 26 > Nicholson 32

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast