tcm is offline Registered User

Default White Stick v Colregs

I can't really understand all the fuss and ker-fuffle hereabouts over "colregs" BECAUSE ...

I am pretty *certain* that there is a much more widely-known priority given to anyone waving a white stick - the international sign of the blind or partially blind.

My own white stick is ooh, massively tall, soaring many metres into the sky and VERY obvious. I sail all over the place, always waving the white stick and, as a result, generally receiving the sort of gentle courtesy that one would reasonably expect. In comparison with the big ships I am most definitely blind or partially blind.

I suppose those boats with non-white sticks - or even no stick at all - must feel more confident. Whatever. And yep, there might sometimes be a close call or even coming together with someone else ALSO waving white stick but that's always going to be a risk, same as on dry land really, and boat wise just the same as sometimes hitting stuff in the marina too - just one of those things.
    Last edited by tcm; 04-05-12 at 21:54.

Remind me. Which marina do you keep your boat in?

onesea is offline Registered User

This made me think of something I saw recently:

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1wl...sources/16.htm

I should not need to point anyone to the letter in question, a notorious picture...

White stick or not always look over your shoulder you do not know who is driving..

tcm is offline Registered User

well erm yeah .... some years ago i was in another boat (no white stick) in the solent dozing (waiting for others etc, mind elsewhere) in that moving whateveritis zone north of Cowes... first warning you get is the pilot boat loudhailer to move promptly ...but i had limited engine power, no wind, but eventually moved away just out of range of the large overhanging steel cliff-face approaching from astern. I was at fault of course, but the pilot vessel moved on, other twits to handle...

A day or so later i was at saxon wharf and the same pilot/whatver official boat tootled past, recognised the boat and stopped, hailed me all friendly, about the close call the other day. He smiled, but tacitly, it was a test and i suppose he could have taken it further, perhaps much further. Fortunately I took the right line - I explained i had engine problems, hence now at saxon wharf, getting stuff sorted and offered effusive apologies about not keeping lookout and moving earlier, gosh sorry sorry sorry about being in the way... and he smiled and that was it.

Which just goes to prove that sometimes I am really nice, okay? AND ALSO i bet it would have been better having a white stick at the time...
    Last edited by tcm; 04-05-12 at 23:52.