Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A proper Mobo

Quote Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
    A wooden boat that size should be viewed as a liability rather than as an asset.

DIY ownership is not really viable long term on something that big, so it requires the depth of pockets to have it yard maintained.

Its a lovely boat, built by a good yard.
    Nice summary Ben. Beautiful boat best owned by someone else so we can admire at a distance.

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    Nice summary Ben. Beautiful boat best owned by someone else so we can admire at a distance.
    I can tell you from a decade of experience, that DIY maintaining a 28ft wooden boat is very hard work, a boat over twice the length, twice the beam abd twice the height is 8 times more boat...

I love that kind of gentleman's motoryacht, but for me it would have to be steel and epoxy coated.

Wavey is offline Registered User

Many moons ago a friend owned an immaculate 45' Bates Starcraft and he employed someone virtually full time to keep it that way. He only had it about a year and sold it as the cost far exceeded the enjoyment he was getting out of it.

epervier is online now Registered User

Stunning looking ship, very Nelsony at first glance, but as others have already alluded to, a nightmare on yer wallet, but the fuel burn is mighty impressive for a craft twice my length and nearly 3 times my displacement:-

"On a recent trial, one engine at 1400 rpm achieving 7 + knots consumed approx 8 litres per hour and a range therefore of 1,750 miles."
    "It's Better to Have Memories Than Dreams"
    "blow Q, cycle main vents"

Quote Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
    A wooden boat that size should be viewed as a liability rather than as an asset.
    Well, it doesn't take that size for a wooden boat to be a liability. Mine is almost 20' shorter, but she surely qualifies for such title...
    Though tbh I've yet to see a pleasure boat which you could really call an asset, regardless of how she's built!

Back to the OP question, in spite of the fact that I'm one of those few "someone else" stupid enough to own and keep afloat a wooden vessel, I must say that I'm not intrigued by this specific boat.
    First of all, I think sarabande is right in his guess about the roll. Or better said, he's actually wrong, because I bet that she rolls like a pig, rather than just "a bit".
    Secondly, for that size of MoBo I would want MUCH more internal space than what she seems to offer, and also a proper large upper deck.
    Last but not least, back in those years, this boat was surely built for speed rather than comfort - just look at her very low displacement and tankage. Which means that by today standards, she (obviously) isn't a fast boat anymore, but she's not as comfy while cruising as normally vintage boats are.
    Bottom line, a great boat to look at, but not so appealing to own - even assuming that maintenance cost is not a problem.

Rum_Pirate is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chrusty 1 View Post
    She has a desk on her rear??? Aft deck dear boy.

is it not the poop deck?
    RELAX, Rum is the answer. Now what is your Question?

Rum_Pirate is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chrusty 1 View Post
    I realise there is a penchant for the plastic fantastic on this forum, but this raggie thinks that this mobo is the dogs danglies! A proper little ship in fact.

http://www.sandemanyachtcompany.co.u...acht-for-sale/
    That vessel is clearly in distress.

The flag (St.Vincent & the Grenadines) on her stern is being flown upside down !

RELAX, Rum is the answer. Now what is your Question?

Chrusty 1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    is it not the poop deck?
    Not unless you have been caught short

Chrusty 1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    That vessel is clearly in distress.

The flag (St.Vincent & the Grenadines) on her stern is being flown upside down !

Well spotted that man! I expect it's her owners who are in distress having just paid their yard bill!

rbcoomer is offline Registered User

Very nice, but as others have said - more to admire than to own from my perspective.

Personally, I'd also be more than a little worried on the launch/recovery aspects! (Smaller+plastic does have a few weight advantages )
    Fletcher Rally: swfbr.org.uk
    Facebook: /rbcoomer