Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: washing ropes.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    54,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ex-SolentBoy View Post
    Neither do I, but she thinks I do.
    I may be wrong but not always

  2. #12
    Davy_S's Avatar
    Davy_S is offline Registered User
    Location : Greece (Ionian)
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,623

    Default

    First of all, let me explain, I don't do washing. The reason is not because I am lazy, which of course I am, but because I am not a fit person to be in charge of a complicated washing machine. I tried to be clever once and put all my dirty clothes into the machine on a boil wash (well you would of course it makes sense) also in went a Red jumper. The result was, I was the person antifouling dressed in pink socks, pink trousers and a pink jumper. I then put a halyyard type rope into a bucket of boiling water, it came out very clean and Very stiff, you could have done the Indian rope trick with it, it had to be thrown away! I still dont know why it did this, I now leave my ropes dirty.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ex-SolentBoy View Post
    Are you men or mice?

    I put the ropes in a pile in the laundry room and SHE washes them while I play golf.
    Respect

    (Squeak sqeak)
    'The lyf so short
    the arte so long to lerne.'

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Dirty ropes (halyards, sheets etc.) look that way because of mould growing within the fibres. A quick immersion in diluted Patio Magic or similar anti-mould cleaner and then left for a few days, will make them look like new. No washing machine, or even removal from boat, required!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    54,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captn D View Post
    Dirty ropes (halyards, sheets etc.) look that way because of mould growing within the fibres. A quick immersion in diluted Patio Magic or similar anti-mould cleaner and then left for a few days, will make them look like new. No washing machine, or even removal from boat, required!
    does that get rid of salt & make them soft then
    I may be wrong but not always

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    does that get rid of salt & make them soft then
    Ones that have been in salt water are probably best saved for the washing machine!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    54,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captn D View Post
    Ones that have been in salt water are probably best saved for the washing machine!
    Oh that a good idea,thanks for the tip
    I may be wrong but not always

  8. #18
    Ripster's Avatar
    Ripster is offline Registered User
    Location : Boat at Haslar Gosport
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    Oh that a good idea,thanks for the tip
    Think outside the box.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    67

    Default Cold Hand Wash only

    Yes, I guess we've all tossed the ropes into the washing machine at the end of the season ... some may even have added a bit of 'Comfort' to give them a treat.

    While talking to English Braid's technical director I discovered that both actions are to be avoided.

    The 'Comfort' not only makes knots come undone but destroys the essential friction between strands and reduces the breaking strain. Meanwhile giving the ropes a thorough wash in a machine disturbs the layup of the ropes and again weakens them.

    The manufacturers suggest a thorough hand wash in cold water to get rid of the salt and then coil and hank the ropes to dry. The ropes prefer to be under a slight tension when stored to preserve the lay-up and strength.

    Oh dear, there goes another myth.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    54,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yacht Breeze View Post
    Yes, I guess we've all tossed the ropes into the washing machine at the end of the season ... some may even have added a bit of 'Comfort' to give them a treat.

    While talking to English Braid's technical director I discovered that both actions are to be avoided.

    The 'Comfort' not only makes knots come undone but destroys the essential friction between strands and reduces the breaking strain. Meanwhile giving the ropes a thorough wash in a machine disturbs the layup of the ropes and again weakens them.

    The manufacturers suggest a thorough hand wash in cold water to get rid of the salt and then coil and hank the ropes to dry. The ropes prefer to be under a slight tension when stored to preserve the lay-up and strength.

    Oh dear, there goes another myth.
    i have yet to break a 14m/m genoa sheet
    I may be wrong but not always

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •