Default Thermostat for new Nanni 50hp

Does anyone know whereabouts the thermostat is on a Nanni 50hp,
    The engine is brand new and i have just installed it and ran it up but the alarm and temp guage go off so it is over heating, that and the block is hot but coolant isnt. There is seawater coming out exhaust but it seems that the coolant isn't circulating?
    I'm not sure if the thermostat is opening?
    ( I can't seem to find it, I think it is built into the header tank)

Or
    Could it be an airlock?

I've filled the header tank up and then also filled the engine water jackets up by taking the hose off and pouring water in until the system is all full.

Other than that,
    Nanni are closed until Tuesday....
    I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.

Quote Originally Posted by nauticalnomad View Post
    Does anyone know whereabouts the thermostat is on a Nanni 50hp,
    The engine is brand new and i have just installed it and ran it up but the alarm and temp guage go off so it is over heating, that and the block is hot but coolant isnt. There is seawater coming out exhaust but it seems that the coolant isn't circulating?
    I'm not sure if the thermostat is opening?
    ( I can't seem to find it, I think it is built into the header tank)

Or
    Could it be an airlock?

I've filled the header tank up and then also filled the engine water jackets up by taking the hose off and pouring water in until the system is all full.

Other than that,
    Nanni are closed until Tuesday....
    more likely an air lock, run it without the cap for a short time.
    stat under the top hose i guess
    I may be wrong but not always

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    more likely an air lock, run it without the cap for a short time.
    stat under the top hose i guess
    The stat looks like its built into the side of the header tank, I can't post a photo as phone won't let me

The stat looks like its built into the side of the header tank, I can't post a photo as phone won't let me
    run it as stated
    have you a calorifier

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    run it as stated
    have you a calorifier
    Yes, I filled the lines up with water as well before connecting up.

Yes, I filled the lines up with water as well before connecting up.
    run it sans cap

Stu Jackson is offline Registered User

Many thermostat housings have petcocks on the top of the fitting. Look for the petcock. While running with the cap off may, just may help, in many cases leaving the cap on and opening the petcock will serve to release any air blocks. You need to "goose" the engine in neutral - run up the revs - to purge the air that way.

Can you not find the owners manual for the engine on the internet?
    Catalina 34 1986 #224 M25 engine 22# Rocna (NZ)

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
    Many thermostat housings have petcocks on the top of the fitting. Look for the petcock. While running with the cap off may, just may help, in many cases leaving the cap on and opening the petcock will serve to release any air blocks. You need to "goose" the engine in neutral - run up the revs - to purge the air that way.

Can you not find the owners manual for the engine on the internet?
    Thanks, I took thermostat out and it is built into heat exchanger and put it in boiling water and opened it then manually opened and closed a few times and now engine is all working at 75-80 degrees it opens and drops back to 60

VicS is offline Registered User

Thanks, I took thermostat out and it is built into heat exchanger and put it in boiling water and opened it then manually opened and closed a few times and now engine is all working at 75-80 degrees it opens and drops back to 60
    I think if the engine goes up to 75/80C before dropping back to 60C I would suspect the thermostat is not working as it should.

You should be able to test it by heating it slowly up to the specified opening temperature ( which should be marked on it) It should just start to open at that point.

Then continue heating it to ensure that it goes on to fully open. The fully open temperature may also be marked on it.

Check that it closes properly as it cools down below the specified opening temperature

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    I think if the engine goes up to 75/80C before dropping back to 60C I would suspect the thermostat is not working as it should.

You should be able to test it by heating it slowly up to the specified opening temperature ( which should be marked on it) It should just start to open at that point.

Then continue heating it to ensure that it goes on to fully open. The fully open temperature may also be marked on it.

Check that it closes properly as it cools down below the specified opening temperature
    Yeah thanks for that input, I'm going to phone peachments on Tuesday, and get a new thermostat to be sure.