Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    harstonwood is offline Registered User

Default Urgent ! Welsh no go areas, cardigan bay/straits menai

As many are aware, the Welsh Government are seeking to introduce 4 Marine conservation areas, from a shortlist of 10

In a nutshell, all activities, unless licensed, will be prohibited. For my local area, see pic or click first link for map , this would make our boating and sailing activities very restrictive.

For the Hamble boaters, its the equivalent of having to take your fun trip to Cowes via Portsmouth and Ryde !

The safe anchorages off Llanbedrog and some safe anchorages areas off Abersoch, gone for ever.

http://data.wales.gov.uk/apps/marine...12446572253806

Please could I ask you look at the following links, one to the Welsh Government, the other to the RYA

http://wales.gov.uk/consultations/en...sites/?lang=en

http://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/new...may12-cruising

If you could spare a few minutes to send your objections etc, it would be most helpful.

I thank you for your help

Mark
    Last edited by harstonwood; 15-05-12 at 07:22. Reason: Better title

Topic "Urgent! Your help needed" says nothing meaningful about the subject of the thread.

Thought you were drowning, sinking, out of drinks or otherwise in distress.

Quote Originally Posted by Spi D View Post
    Topic "Urgent! Your help needed" says nothing meaningful about the subject of the thread.

Thought you were drowning, sinking, out of drinks or otherwise in distress.

Maybe not..............but any help is really gratefully needed with this. Actually, regarding your flippant reply, you will not be able to drown or sink within the MCZ's

Yesterday, on Jimmy the Builders excellent south of France thread, there was some pics/discussions regarding a favorite anchorage etc. Well this proposed MCZ's is where my favorite boating area/anchorage is. Where we meet fellow boaters. Where my son caught his first ever Mackerel. Where my wife learn't to water ski. etc

Yep its important to me...........I make no apologies.
    Last edited by harstonwood; 07-05-12 at 18:28.

rbcoomer is online now Registered User

Bump!

Seems there's a lot of this going on around the UK - all at slightly different stages. This is the 3 thread I've seen in various forums regarding the Welsh proposals. Have you been following Oldharry's thread and the 'BORG' over on Scuttlebutt? http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291827

The issues have been rumbling away for over a year, but many people either aren't aware or don't appreciate the potential impact. Still, it's never too late to make our voices heard.

Perhaps the various regions should look at a more coordinated resistance?

P.S. Have to agree that the thread title could have been better...
    S.Devon Pub Meets: ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3853165
    Fletcher Rally: swfbr.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by rbcoomer View Post
    Bump!

Seems there's a lot of this going on around the UK - all at slightly different stages. This is the 3 thread I've seen in various forums regarding the Welsh proposals. Have you been following Oldharry's thread and the 'BORG' over on Scuttlebutt? http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291827

The issues have been rumbling away for over a year, but many people either aren't aware or don't appreciate the potential impact. Still, it's never too late to make our voices heard.

Perhaps the various regions should look at a more coordinated resistance?

P.S. Have to agree that the thread title could have been better...

Cheers for bringing in back to the top

Ok....fair enough, should have had a better thread title. Perhaps I got slightly overly emotional......its a tragedy to our famliy, if we can't access the area above. It really is a special area.

July is the end of consultation, then no doubt some chinless wonder will draw the areas out of a hat!
    Last edited by harstonwood; 09-05-12 at 18:53. Reason: Secondary education

Bump again;

The areas covered include the Menai Straits, including Puffin Island. The activities they propose to ban include all line fishing, laying & maintaining nav aids like bouys, anchoring, moorings & even just passing thro the water! There is no evidence that any of these activities that have been carried out for centuries have had any impact on the environment whatsoever.

You may think it doesn't affect you, but it will.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

Sadly, no one on the forum is really interested. When its the turn of the solent, i will however add my support

The impact of these mcz,s cannot be under estimated

I have posted enough on this now. No more on this from me.

sagiatt is offline Registered User

Cool SCARY!!! North Wales News

thanks HarstonWood

thread title not reflective of importance!!
    attached map,on glimpse, suggests just pwhelli approaches
    not so! - scroll up shows Beaumaris surrounds and Puffin

Scariest bit of all? -
    Release talks of Holistic Approach (really!)
    and is signed by someone called Lyndsey (who is prob very nice, but...)

Seems that many on this forum have a great understanding of the 'ethos' of boating combining with nature on the Straits..
    but - has anyone asked them?
    Lyndsey?
    A radically restricted North Wales boating scene may result if there is no reaction from the current users ! (sadly)
    seemed a good idea at the time ...

Kawasaki is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by harstonwood View Post
    Sadly, no one on the forum is really interested. When its the turn of the solent, i will however add my support

The impact of these mcz,s cannot be under estimated

I have posted enough on this now. No more on this from me.
    harstonwood
    I think the peeps of the Forum are interested
    Searush had posted earlier on the subject too
    We may have not had a 'I will right to me MP' type reaction directly to your Post
    However, the post/thread will have reminded peeps or those that have not been alerted to this crazy stuff that we need to 'SHOUT'
    As you know I ply my trade as it were in these waters
    I talk to all on the water
    Local fisher folk, yachties, mobowers, anglers, potters, yeh all that 'potter' about the place!
    There is 'twittering' and 'facebooking' but having said that, your Thread is noticed and not wrongly Titled
    'All who sail in Her' etc
    Yep, we need conservation but not like these proposals
    I have been to meetings on the subject and 'Voiced' from a great height!
    Waterborn tree huggers the beggars are and don't really care/ understand about the whole picture.
    It's shades of 'Seahorses and Studland Bay' all over again I,m afraid.
    'Shiney arsed pen pushers' come to mind
    'Jobs for the Boys' etc
    These people who propose this kinda stuff are far to powerful and need to be more aware that most people who use the waters for recreation are more aware of the Enviroment than they are, cos we are on it and in it more than they are in their Ivory Towers
    So good post Mate and nowt wrong with the Thread Title
    Talk about the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing!
    Anglesey Borough Council (God Bless Em) has just spent a lot of taxpayers money creating a proper pontoon berthing facility on Beaumaris pier on the Strait for us commercial types to embark and land peeps on!
    Renovated slipways all around the Island for pleasure boat users, created trailer parks for the small boaters etc
    Then this lot wanna curb all activity
    What makes me laugh
    'The Countryside Council for Wales' has a bloody big twin engined R.I.B with jet drives
    What the feck thats for I dont know
    Oh yeh 'Jobs for the Boys' , maybe?

Cheers Kwacka
    The amazing thing about the mcz near Pwllheli, is the fact that the Welsh government is building (in progress now) the new 8.3 million pound national sailing academy, and adding extra berths to the harbour to attract racing keel boats.

Also dredging (in the autumn) the harbour entrance etc

Its a bit like yes minister really

Lots of local action stuff going on, petitions and the like

I vote we tie searush to the seabed as a protest

Hope your well

Lechyd da!

M