Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Forcibly rescued

There I was out having a quiet swim one evening off the boat trying to sort out a blocked seacock when moored at Gigha when I was seized by the scruff of the neck by an excited man in a dinghy and hauled aboard. I expressed my disquiet and the gentleman (who stank of drink and wee) got even more excited. I jumped back in the water and this seemed to really provoke them (judging by my rescuers' increased rate of flatulence) .. so I just gave in and muttered a few things until they placed me a board a neighbouring yacht called Moondancer , I waited until they were out of sight before jumping back in and swimming to my own craft. Has anyone else experinced this and, if so, what were their coping strategies?

Did the wee bachle demand money with menaces, or its equivalent in malt, in a faux Aberdeen accent?

Yeah, I've suffered a lot of this kind of thing. Never forcibly rescued but any time I swim off a boat in sight of other boats anywhere in the UK there seems to be someone who thinks it's ok to tell me I shouldn't be doing it. Didn't happen in Sweden.

I'm sure if I swam out to the boat from a beach on the same day nobody would say anything.

This is Acairsaid Mor, mid April:

No other boats so no hassle on this occasion.
    Last edited by Mark-1; 07-05-12 at 22:04.

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-1 View Post
    Yeah, I've suffered a lot of this kind of thing. Never forcibly rescued but any time I swim off a boat in sight of other boats anywhere in the UK there seems to be someone who thinks it's ok to tell me I shouldn't be doing it. Didn't happen in Sweden.

I'm sure if I swam out to the boat from a beach on the same day nobody would say anything.

No other boats so no hassle on this occasion.
    It's not the swimming, it's the trunks they're objecting to.
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    It's not the swimming, it's the trunks they're objecting to.
    :-)

Rather stylish, I thought.

You must be exceedingly well insulated. Apart from the very top of your head that is.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bosun Higgs View Post
    You must be exceedingly well insulated. Apart from the very top of your head that is.
    You know how to hit where it hurts! :-)

SWMBO made the same point. :-(

25931 is online now Registered User

You know how to hit where it hurts! :-)

SWMBO made the same point. :-(
    Why should it hurt ? There is no shame in growing older. Maurice Chevalier replied to a silly journalist who asked, on Chevalier's 72nd birthday, "Don't you mind growing old ?" and was promptly educated -"Not when I consider the alternative".
    Dum spiro spero. Cras ingens iterabimus aequor.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bosun Higgs View Post
    You must be exceedingly well insulated. .
    DONT try it in Norway - they have very large harpoon guns.......

Quote Originally Posted by GODOT View Post
    There I was out having a quiet swim one evening off the boat trying to sort out a blocked seacock when moored at Gigha when I was seized by the scruff of the neck by an excited man in a dinghy and hauled aboard. I expressed my disquiet and the gentleman (who stank of drink and wee) got even more excited. I jumped back in the water and this seemed to really provoke them (judging by my rescuers' increased rate of flatulence) .. so I just gave in and muttered a few things until they placed me a board a neighbouring yacht called Moondancer , I waited until they were out of sight before jumping back in and swimming to my own craft. Has anyone else experinced this and, if so, what were their coping strategies?
    I can't possibly imagine being as sanguine as you seem to be.Did you not try to explain your aim & resist being taken into captivity?