Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 174
  1. #31
    wakeup's Avatar
    wakeup is online now Registered User
    Location : Cote d'Azur & Cote d'Gris
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BartW View Post
    good idea wakeup,
    I'm going to try this out,
    plenty of space in my chain locker and good acces,
    and defo cheaper then 100m 12mm SS chain
    Definitely cheaper if you happen to find one in the street. The police cones are the best i'm told at keeping unruly chain in order

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_H View Post
    Is the picture how you found it Jimmy, or was the part broken in two and you've pushed it back together to show where it went? If it was broken, then the loose bit could have jammed in the gypsy cover I guess, but otherwise I can't think how this break could cause your problem.
    That's how I found it. If you pick it up it holds its form, the break doesn't get any bigger.

    Cheers
    Jimmy

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_the_builder View Post
    That's how I found it. If you pick it up it holds its form, the break doesn't get any bigger.

    Cheers
    Jimmy
    Then I can't see it could possibly be causing the problem (though good idea to replace it anyway of course)

  4. #34
    kashurst's Avatar
    kashurst is online now Registered User
    Location : west yorkshire
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,217

    Default

    as per Divemasters post I would still go through the big electrical cable connectors. I have had similar too in the past. I had a bow thruster that did the same and an anchor winch on a different boat. Although the connections are pretty big it doesn't take much corrosion to create a significant resistance at very high loads. I'd take them off one by one de grease with meths and clean them with wire wool. The stripper looks cracked but I don't think that's the issue

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kashurst View Post
    The stripper looks cracked but I don't think that's the issue
    That was more or less the last thing I said in Stringfellows. Next thing I knew I was on the pavement.

  6. #36
    mikef's Avatar
    mikef is offline Registered User
    Location : Chesham, Bucks
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    26,912

    Default

    IMHO, the clicking is simply the chain jumping off the gypsy as it strains to wind the chain out. Again IMHO, if it was a sticky solenoid, it would happen when you were winding the chain in as well which it doesn't seem to do. Not something to particularly worry about but it doesn't do the winch any good. That component which is cracked looks like a support for the shaft and gypsy arrangement and the crack may have been caused by the chain jumping off the gypsy.
    Its good practice to have the anchor chain hatch open when dropping the anchor just to check that the chain is coming up freely. You can usually see when a snag is about to happen and clear it before it reaches the gypsy

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Its called a "stripper ring", this is what happened to one I had on a previous boat after a couple of weeks daily heavy usage. They are just not man enough imo. I replaced the part (bought in the US but sure you can find in UK) with a ss version, never had the problem again.

    http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...387&id=1212230


  8. #38
    jfm's Avatar
    jfm is offline Registered User
    Location : London/Antibes
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    17,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    That component which is cracked looks like a support for the shaft and gypsy arrangement
    Nah. There is no bearing in it. It's a stripper, to peel the chain off the gypsy

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MYAG View Post
    Its called a "stripper ring", this is what happened to one I had on a previous boat after a couple of weeks daily heavy usage. They are just not man enough imo. I replaced the part (bought in the US but sure you can find in UK) with a ss version, never had the problem again.

    http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...387&id=1212230
    Myag, this is super helpful, thanks. Some further googling suggests that (a) failure of the plastic stripper ring is relatively common (b) as a result Lewmar now ship the windlass with the ss stripper ring as standard but (c) the ss stripper ring is not readily available in the UK - 14 days special order from Lewmar via Aquafax. I'm just waiting for a price now.

    Cheers
    Jimmy

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_the_builder View Post
    Myag, this is super helpful, thanks. Some further googling suggests that (a) failure of the plastic stripper ring is relatively common (b) as a result Lewmar now ship the windlass with the ss stripper ring as standard but (c) the ss stripper ring is not readily available in the UK - 14 days special order from Lewmar via Aquafax. I'm just waiting for a price now.

    Cheers
    Jimmy
    ... and hilariously Aquafax have just told me that altho the part only costs 5.49, the p&p is 34.50...! I'll have to think of some creative way of getting one back from the US.

    Cheers
    Jimmy

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •