Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shallow draft.

Default shallow draft.

hi am looking for advice regarding shallow draft versions of modern awb yachts.
    as i am looking around to buy

i understand the benefit regarding loosing a few inches depth . but would like to know if there are any other considerations such as performance etc.

thanks in advance.

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

Rule of thumb, the deeper the keel, the higher she'll point (until you hit the putty).
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    Rule of thumb, the deeper the keel, the higher she'll point (until you hit the putty).
    Why is that all these broker databases (not you Jonic) let you select by the length, the number of hulls, the fuel, the number engines, where the cockpit is, etc. but never the draft? If you home harbour has a usefel depth of 4' or whatever it would be nice to pick out the boats that suit.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_o_g View Post
    Why is that all these broker databases (not you Jonic) let you select by the length, the number of hulls, the fuel, the number engines, where the cockpit is, etc. but never the draft? If you home harbour has a usefel depth of 4' or whatever it would be nice to pick out the boats that suit.
    Maybe they expect that perspective buyers have done some research first.
    Maybe buy a copy of http://www.williamfranklin.com/goodyachtguide/

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Maybe they expect that perspective buyers have done some research first.
    Maybe buy a copy of http://www.williamfranklin.com/goodyachtguide/
    Try searching Yachtworld for a 27-32' yacht for say 15,000 to 25,000 in the UK and you get a few hundred returns. Okay, I can work out that a Contessa 32 will have a fair draft but the only way I can know the draft of most Benne's or Jeaneau's is by opening each ad. For many other boats even if I did have a copy of the Observer's Book of Yachts I'd be surprised if they were all in there and, much as I love looking at boats, I'd be more inclined to use a website or broker that didn't expect me to look up a couple of hundred boats in a book - why offer me the option to drill down on other parameters but not one that's often an absolute limiting factor?

We only draw 1.4 m and apart from staying afloat when others ground have never really noticed the difference.

Lots of weight at the bottom helps I guess

I have the 37' version of Bav's boat with 4'6" draft, specifically to be able to go through the French canals. Most times you would not know what the draft was - where it loses is just like Ken says - not so good to windward because the foil is not a good shape. Limits the sail carrying ability a bit, but you often find that such boats have in mast reefing so not designed to squeeze the last bit of speed.

If draft is not a constraint there is no need to have a shallow draft, but it can make a significant difference to access and cruising areas - for example I am in Poole and the 1' less draft opens up more of the harbour to safe navigation.

You need to be aware that shallow draft is achieved in different ways according to the design - can be just a shorter keel or a shorter keel with more ballast lower (as with Bavaria) or lifting keel, sometimes with twin rudders.

Think about your cruising area and what you intend to do with your boat first.

In the Solent then draft isn't really an issue, but when we were in Aberystwyth it was; drawing 2.2m we only had 2 hours each side of high water, which is pretty **** really. If you are going up and down/exploring tidal rivers then a draft is an issue again, here in the Caribbean a lifting keel would be a serious advantage.

So I suppose in an ideal world a good boat with a lifting keel is the answer, most Brits don't seem to like them (not sure why?) and the racing boys hate them, but for serious cruising the I don't see a better option. You don't tend to beat to often so you either reaching or running, like dinghy sailing on a bigger scale (but much drier!).

I agree that on any brokers website (any published litriture) there should be info on draft, if the boat has a lifting keel and what type of keel it has (long, fin, twin, etc). I'm sure its not that difficult to add a drill down list as an option!! Some of us don't even know what boat we're looking at, let alone its draft and keel configuration.
    Drinking rum and playing music with my friends.

Default shallow draft

If you're going to navigate in typically shallow waters e.g.the east coast,then shallow draft is going to be a great deal friendlier and let you use all the green areas (drying) with relative impunity as with the right boat and the right conditions you can also sit upright on a fair sea bed.In the many creeks and rivers this can more than double the area you can sail in.
    Lifting fins have been mentioned and can be highly efficient but bear in mind that if you partially lift the fin because it's shallow then you can't sail with the same efficiency -so it's in the coming and going from moorings/anchorages that it can be particularly useful and extend your sailing time.
    Have a look at these relative ratings for performance and start with some boats you know in the length range under consideration:
    http://www.byronsoftware.org.uk/bycn/byboat.htm

so it seems the only benefit is to those restricted by draft, in my case will be sailing in e.med so not required, also i dont like the sound of reduced ability to point so high as all my winds seem to be on the nose.!there seems to be a few around in the catagory i was looking for so will cross them off my list.

thanks again for all the help, the experiance i have gained from advice has been invaluable.