Thread: Stone Point

Cotillion is offline Registered User

Default Stone Point

Was out and about today. Came across Pye sands between Pye SWMB and Orwell No.2 and had 3.4m under the keel abot an hour and a bit off high water then had only 3.1 at Stone Point PHMB No.16 which would suggest a charted depth of around 0.7m.

I usually reckon on about 0.9m at datum at Pye End and my impression from a couple of passes this year has been that it's about the same off Stone Point, so if you can get into the Backwaters you can get into the Walton Channel, on a rising tide.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Tomahawk is online now Registered User

Default Team surv data logger

I have a teamsurv data logger on board... http://www.teamsurv.eu/

It is a project run from Portsmouth with EU backing... That uses data added from lots of small boat navigation to update charts of areas thzt the hydrographic office cannot justify surveyinige...

As a TeamSurv data logger, you are provided with a data logger that automatically records data from your instruments. If you use a PC on board then this is our SmartLog for Windows software, or otherwise we will loan you a SmartLog USB*hardware logger. Alternatively, if you use a Garmin GPSMap plotter with a user memory card, or PC*navigation software from SeaPro, Software on Board, Expedition or Nobeltec, you can log the data using your existing kit and then upload it to the web site.

During each trip a log file is automatically created, and*once ashore you*upload it to the*TeamSurv web site, where it is processed and combined with the other data and available for viewing.

Every pass across a sandbank added lot an up to date ldatalog to update charts of non commercial navigation areas. One of the ok oats on the Gunfleet wind farm has been logging data and ther is now an updated plot of that working area...

More members would be good!!
    Life is too short to drink bad wine

Cotillion is offline Registered User

Default Depths

After passing the buoy the depth dropped to over 8m metres, which was what I would normaly expected. This is not the only point along the channel where shoals can be found. Over the last few years the margins (mostly mud) have started to subside and slide into the main channel. There are now several areas, mostly around The NCMB that marks the spit at Foundry Reach with some places up to 2 metres shallower than the rest of the channel. With talk of a new marina at the end of Foundry Reach it will be interesting to see what the authorities do to keep the backwaters navigable.

MrCramp is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by canoeman View Post

Aware that there has been discussion over the future of The Mere at the top of Foundry Reach but a new marina?
    A recent posting on this subject
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307929

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Frankly, you should trybto get the boat filled... And its getting late in the day...

I would charge your normal day rate... Plus the extra cost associated with the berth..

Anyone with money will have been planning this for years... I suspect demand will not be what you expect... Certainly dont expect any media types...