Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    62

    Default Suzuki DF8 - Brand New - Valve Cover Cracked

    Hi All,

    So, a few weeks ago I took delivery of my nice new sloep with Suzuki DF8 remote steered engine, drove it home (to the canal near my house) - and oil was everywhere.

    On investigation, the cover that covers the valves (forgive my lack of tech here) was cracked - uniformly all round.

    My boat shop took it back the following day, and are currently rebuilding this part of the engine with a new cover.

    They say there was no cause of this, but simply it was delivered like this from the factory.

    Has anyone had any similar problems or known this to happen? The mechanic from the shop seemed to be as surprised as I was!

    thanks,
    Neil
    New to boating
    Live in Amsterdam

  2. #2
    VicS is offline Registered User
    Location : Home: Kent. Boat: Chichester
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    31,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maillme View Post
    Hi All,

    So, a few weeks ago I took delivery of my nice new sloep with Suzuki DF8 remote steered engine, drove it home (to the canal near my house) - and oil was everywhere.

    On investigation, the cover that covers the valves (forgive my lack of tech here) was cracked - uniformly all round.

    My boat shop took it back the following day, and are currently rebuilding this part of the engine with a new cover.

    They say there was no cause of this, but simply it was delivered like this from the factory.

    Has anyone had any similar problems or known this to happen? The mechanic from the shop seemed to be as surprised as I was!

    thanks,
    Neil
    Not cheap part! I hope that does not happen again.

  3. #3
    Jim@sea is offline Registered User
    Location : Near Windermere
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,612

    Default

    On a new engine. I would have rejected it and asked for another new one.

  4. #4
    vas's Avatar
    vas is offline Registered User
    Location : Volos-Athens
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maillme View Post
    Hi All,

    So, a few weeks ago I took delivery of my nice new sloep with Suzuki DF8 remote steered engine, drove it home (to the canal near my house) - and oil was everywhere.

    On investigation, the cover that covers the valves (forgive my lack of tech here) was cracked - uniformly all round.

    My boat shop took it back the following day, and are currently rebuilding this part of the engine with a new cover.

    They say there was no cause of this, but simply it was delivered like this from the factory.

    Has anyone had any similar problems or known this to happen? The mechanic from the shop seemed to be as surprised as I was!

    thanks,
    Neil
    a Friday engine/engine cover cast maybe?
    I thought this is a european thing, didn't realise that Japanese are following us in this respect

    Since that's really DOA, I'd ask for a new engine!
    if you fail on that, I'd definitely start driving around clocking up the hours very quickly making sure nothing else fails

    good luck and as is always the case in this forum you need to post pics!

    V.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    62

    Default

    I did suggest new engine, and thought this was what they were going to do.....then they said they would just replace the cover.

    Not only that, I've been waiting 2 weeks for the replacement part and delivery of my boat back......

    Not exactly over the moon, but to be honest, I've not had great service from them, and since I am a) new to boating b) foreign, they rip the piss right out of me - and its difficult for me to challenge.........
    New to boating
    Live in Amsterdam

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    6,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maillme View Post
    I did suggest new engine, and thought this was what they were going to do.....then they said they would just replace the cover.

    Not only that, I've been waiting 2 weeks for the replacement part and delivery of my boat back......

    Not exactly over the moon, but to be honest, I've not had great service from them, and since I am a) new to boating b) foreign, they rip the piss right out of me - and its difficult for me to challenge.........
    I suggest you contact Suzuki direct. My experience of Suzuki in such matters is one of outstanding service. If the engine is brand new, then Suzuki would want to know why it failed. I would not except a repair.

  7. #7
    VicS is offline Registered User
    Location : Home: Kent. Boat: Chichester
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    31,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
    I suggest you contact Suzuki direct. My experience of Suzuki in such matters is one of outstanding service. If the engine is brand new, then Suzuki would want to know why it failed. I would not except a repair.
    Except ??

    You'd not expect a repair , or you'd not accept a repair ?

    I'd expect the dealer to offer to replace the broken cover.

    Personally I would also accept that however I think under consumer law you may not have to. I believe you are entitled to ask for a refund .. no more no less.
    Last edited by VicS; 10-05-12 at 07:17.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Yea, I am pretty sure I could ask for a refund - but I'd still like the boat. He did offer the best price, and was quote open/honest about it.

    The dealer came and took the boat out the canal within 12 hours of me reporting it broken, and were very helpful.

    However they said they are rebuilding the engine when the new part arrives, rather than replacing - which I was a bit surprised about. When the mechanic came, his attitude was "Not our problem, Suzuki's problem - you will get new Engine" - however, the boss obviously decided different.

    I'll maybe give a call to suzuki. The dealer seemed to think it was broken when it was manufactured.


    thanks again,
    Neil
    New to boating
    Live in Amsterdam

  9. #9
    Erbas is offline Registered User
    Location : Northamptonshire / Fambridge
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,030

    Default

    I'd be very surprised if it was broken when the engine was manufactured since the engine would have had to be run when it was commissioned which is a job done by the dealer who sells the engine

    Our brand new DF6 was commissioned and tested by the dealer (Seamark Nunn) before we arrived to collect it and then put back in the test tank and run up while we were there to demonstrate everything was in working order

    Cracked cover sounds like either the engine was dropped or something was dropped on the engine whilst it was off the boat (in the dealers workshop perhaps?)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    18

    Default cracked

    A cracked cover is nothing more than that, a cracked cover. If they replace it with a new one , there is no need to replace the entire engine. The cover is only there to keep the oil that's being splashed on the camshaft(s) from getting out and dust and dirt and moisture from getting in. one important thing to know is, was there enough oil left in the engine when you discovered this? Did you check the oil level when you discovered the oil loss? If the engine has been running with no oil, that would be something different.
    If it was just the cracked cover and the remaining oil was sufficient, a new cover , a top up on the oil and a thorough clean of the engine-chamber will do the trick.
    I also think something was dropped onto the head, or even a mechanic stepped a bit too carelessley onto the head after install, its all possible. It's just a shell.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •