Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Waterproof clothing test

Of late I have discovered the hard way that some so called hi tech waterproof clothing basically isn't. Since the drought was declared I have had the opportunity to test several that I have purchased over the years whilst having to go out and walk the dog.

Compass marine breathable/waterproof offshore suit, purchased five years ago, leaks like a sieve . . . it was cheap but quite probably a waste of money.

Musto, coastal jacket now reaching the ten year mark and has done sterling service over the years and now also leaks like a sieve . . . . not so cheap but had good wear out of it before it deteriorated to the sad state it is now in.

a high street brand coat, breathable/waterproof, purchased last year, leaks badly, very unimpressed total waste of money.

This morning we have had fairly steady fat rain so having been disapppointed by all the others I reached for my trusty plastic yellow suit, purchased 1990, cost IRO 30 iirc, result dry as a bone if a little sweaty. The make of this wonder garment . . . . GUY COTTEN . . .
    Not bad for a suit that was bought 22 years ago and has been used for dog walking, sailing, fishing and is now borrowed regularly by my son for all sorts of horrible work.

Am I expecting a little too much from sailing clothing or any clothing that is supposedly breathable/waterproof, I know Guy Cotten is hardly breathable.
    Dinner without wine is like summer without sunshine.

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Scillypete View Post
    I know Guy Cotten is hardly breathable.
    Hardly breathable? It's hermetic!
    Next time, it'll all be different.

lustyd is offline Registered User

Out of interest, what maintenance have you done to each over the years? I believe the hi tech ones need washing etc to remain effective but I've been a little scared of washing mine so far!
    Vivacity 20, South Coast
    http://yachtlivemagic.blogspot.com

Always worth asking if they'll honour the goretex lifetime guarantee - I got 3 replacement jackets (annually) from Berghaus before I chickened out of sending them back. Berghaus did a similar thing with one of the mountain rescue teams who came for a factory visit - ended up replacing every single one!

Quote Originally Posted by armchairsailor View Post
    Always worth asking if they'll honour the goretex lifetime guarantee - I got 3 replacement jackets (annually) from Berghaus before I chickened out of sending them back. Berghaus did a similar thing with one of the mountain rescue teams who came for a factory visit - ended up replacing every single one!
    I see now why this stuff is so expensive.
    I may be wrong, but I'm not confused.
    ⛵ Ex-SolentBoy

Quote Originally Posted by lustyd View Post
    Out of interest, what maintenance have you done to each over the years? I believe the hi tech ones need washing etc to remain effective but I've been a little scared of washing mine so far!
    The compass and the musto were both washed following the instructions but it just seemed to make the matter worse

The Guy cottens only ever need a downpour to get 'em clean

Armchairsailor - The Musto has just about reached the end of its guarantee and I doubt that Compass even give a guarantee or use goretex for that matter.

I have also recently lashed out on a Musto MPX offshore suit which cost mega bucks and they say it will last for 10 years. That I only use for sailing not dogwalking and fishing, perhaps I should to give it a more thorough test but I am reluctant to ruin it as it is very comfortable and still waterproof.
    Dinner without wine is like summer without sunshine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-SolentBoy View Post
    I see now why this stuff is so expensive.
    Google
    musto lifetime promise
    I may be wrong but not always

I 'acquired' a Musto Ocean Goretex MPX all-singing etc. one-piece drysuit ( ! ) some time ago. It even has a rubber tube for the shoulder-holster gin and tonic! It's so 'chi-chi' that I daren't wear it in public....

What's sailing coming to....?

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    Google
    musto lifetime promise

Or contact Gore-Tex regarding their promise.

Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9LoEMkl700

Especially at 4.50 mins

If that jacket is 20 years old, I'll eat it!

I had a reply to my query (sent via their website). They suggested that the DWR needed restoring. Well I look after my gear so that was nonsense. I can see delamination and even if DWR has failed, membrane should stop water penetration.

Gore-Tex is fragile stuff.

email address for the person that got back to me is:
    wlgore@ddlgroup.com

As for Musto etc - I think their gear is over priced tat just for looking like you know what you are doing (all the gear and no idea type of thing).

I wore a 24 year old (plastic, PVC actually I think) outfit for dirty work at the boat yard the other day; proper wicking layers etc and I was fine AND it is 24 year old gear that has done heavy duty.

Well, personally, I'm never wearing non-breathable oilskins ever again if I can possibly help it.