Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: 12v sockets.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,466

    Default 12v sockets.

    I would like to put a single or double cigarette type socket over my chart table but the ones I have tried are cheap and nasty. Does anyone make a good quality one, that will stand a the damp air etc. without corroding?
    Allan

  2. #2
    vyv_cox's Avatar
    vyv_cox is offline Registered User
    Location : North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    15,382

    Default

    They are pretty poor things really, so for all important jobs I use Dri-plugs, outside and below. However, for the video player, phone charging etc I have a couple of cigarette sockets bought from Maplins. They have been aboard for some years now, used pretty frequently and reliably. One of them has a plastic cap that keeps some damp out.

  3. #3
    maxi77's Avatar
    maxi77 is offline Registered User
    Location : Kingdom of Fife
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,504

    Default

    I have used these both on boats and vehicles and been very pleased with them. They also sell good quality matching plugs as well. Cost a bit more than some but worth it in my opinion.

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-X-Motorc...item45ea54b219
    Peter

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,060

    Default

    The best ar Sutars these are rated to 20A. The inherent design of the cigarette lighter plug and socket is poor. If you can use another type of plug ( I use Anderson plugs) it is better, but so many devices terminate in a cigarette plug that you need a few sockets on board that will take these plugs.

  5. #5
    Sire's Avatar
    Sire is offline Registered User
    Location : South Carelia, Finland
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    469

    Default

    The Hella type plugs (commonly used in trucks) are much more nicely made than the cigarette lighter variety, they don't vibrate loose, and they will take 20A. Both the plugs and sockets are available from many suppliers including Maplin.

  6. #6
    prv is online now Registered User
    Location : Southampton
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    21,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zetorpilot View Post
    The Hella type plugs (commonly used in trucks) are much more nicely made than the cigarette lighter variety, they don't vibrate loose, and they will take 20A. Both the plugs and sockets are available from many suppliers including Maplin.
    Not heard of that name, but a google image search suggests they're a make of the "DIN" plugs I've standardised on for the boat. Agree they're good; my anchor light and searchlight plug in using them, the plotter used to till I added AIS and needed some data lines in the plug as well as power. I wired the socket (and bought the plugs) with 20A in mind for possible future use with a dinghy pump - although I think in fact this might not quite be enough for the high power LVM pumps.

    A lighter socket or two is still handy for ad-hoc devices like other people's phone chargers though.

    Pete

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maxi77 View Post
    I have used these both on boats and vehicles and been very pleased with them. They also sell good quality matching plugs as well. Cost a bit more than some but worth it in my opinion.

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-X-Motorc...item45ea54b219
    Ditto. The main advantage is that you can use a twist-lock plug which prevents inadvertent disconnection.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    4,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noelex View Post
    The best ar Sutars these are rated to 20A. The inherent design of the cigarette lighter plug and socket is poor. If you can use another type of plug ( I use Anderson plugs) it is better, but so many devices terminate in a cigarette plug that you need a few sockets on board that will take these plugs.
    +1 for Sutars for exposed locations, or http://www.abcomponents.co.uk/08-4571-25-XX, well made good current rating.

  9. #9
    Sire's Avatar
    Sire is offline Registered User
    Location : South Carelia, Finland
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Not heard of that name, but a google image search suggests they're a make of the "DIN" plugs I've standardised on for the boat. Agree they're good; my anchor light and searchlight plug in using them, the plotter used to till I added AIS and needed some data lines in the plug as well as power. I wired the socket (and bought the plugs) with 20A in mind for possible future use with a dinghy pump - although I think in fact this might not quite be enough for the high power LVM pumps.

    A lighter socket or two is still handy for ad-hoc devices like other people's phone chargers though.

    Pete
    I think Hella originated them, so calling them 'Hella plugs' is like calling a vacuum cleaner a Hoover.

    I've been meaning to change over to these in my own boat.

    Good point about the phone chargers etc though!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maxi77 View Post
    I have used these both on boats and vehicles and been very pleased with them. They also sell good quality matching plugs as well. Cost a bit more than some but worth it in my opinion.

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-X-Motorc...item45ea54b219
    I have had a look at these and spoken to the supplier they take standard cigarette type plugs and special plugs which you twist to lock in. The plugs are out of stock until next week. I will buy some of each then.
    Many thanks, they are just what I need.
    Allan

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •