Thread: Half-model

Default Half-model

Hi Guys
    I have a half model of my boat, which I obtained from a skip some years ago when the builder went bust. I want to make a copy for a friend who has the same class of boat. Is there anything that I could use to make a mould from easily - thinking plaster of paris or similar, that I could then pour something else into to create another model?

Any ideas gratefully received - obviously I don't want to damage the initial model!

prv is offline Registered User

Plaster of paris, after covering the model with clingfilm, seems reasonable to me. Or grease it and then splurge lots of silicone sealant over it, building up enough thickness to hold its shape once set. That'll give you a rubber mould which may release from the cast copy more easily.

Pete

Latex, you can get it in powder form from many art/model making shops. Try on line Theatrical make up suppliers. I've use it in the past to make casts of a few things. Then used casting resin to make the final item.
    Not expensive and you can use it on almost anything.............

davidej is offline Registered User

I was faced with. similar problem but a model aeroplane not boat.

I used papier mache - actually newspaper soaked with wallpaper paste. Tip - don't get it too wet or it all disintegrates

Excellent result. Slightly flexible so easier to pull off the object than plaster of paris
    davidej

lefkasman is offline Registered User

Default modeling

Silicone rubber is often used, especially if there are returns on the shape which make a one-piece plaster mould impossible.
    http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.u...-silicone.aspx for the materials and http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.u...ndCasting.aspx for a video tutorial.

Boomshanka is offline Registered User

Plaster of paris gets pretty hot when setting IIRC, especially if there's a fair bit of thickness to it, probably best to make sure the model is thermally stable
    Are we there yet?

Babylon is offline Registered User

Take the lines off your half-model and carve another one - huge satisfaction.
    http://www.smiletrain.org.uk - charity for child cleft palate surgery