Thread: Calorifiers

Default Calorifiers

Is there any reasonable reasons why i could not use a well insulated domestic immersion tank costing about 100 instead of a marinised version costing over 300?
    Ashley

<hr width=100% size=1>
    A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a Unicorn

Robin is offline Registered User

Default Re: Calorifiers

The marine ones are usually smaller since boats have limited space and some can be mounted horizontally, insulation may also be thicker. I believe the marine ones can operate with a higher system pressure too which allows for a pressure pump plus the increased pressure build up from the expansion of the heated water.

<hr width=100% size=1>
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Are there any domestic immersion heaters fitted with a heat exchanger? Otherwise you wouldn't be able to heat water from the engine, only from the mains via the thermostat. If that is sufficient for you, I'd go with domestic, if you can find one small enough!

The standard indirect domestic hot water tanks are fitted as standard with a heat exchanger and cost about 70.
    I do not know whether they are presure tested to the same standards as the ones with a 'Marine' label.

Iain

<hr width=100% size=1>

Suggest you have a look at:

http://www.albion-online.co.uk/

- covers domestic & marine. They are very helpful people and should be well qualified to answer your queries.

Regard,

<hr width=100% size=1>

There is a guy that attends the beauleigh boat jumble each year ( "Millerwing" or similar name based on the Isle of wight ) his name eludes me at present, he sells the cheapest and best Calorifiers in the world? he really knows his stuff, can you wait until then?

Whilst I would think that with todays domestic water pressures a conventional indirect colorifyer would hold the pressure, the heating coils would not necessarily be adequate/fully efficient, either in length or configuration, also it wouldn`t be practical to lay them on the side as they are not designed for that, and at the very least need a sympathetic cradle. IMHO?

Try a google search in copper and brass sheet manufacturers in the midlands! may reveal something

Rob

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rejuvanu.com>RejuVanu</A>

Picked up a 14 gallon calorifier from a canal boat chandler.

Two water coils and a 1 kw immersion for about 160 includes pressure release valve, just add you hose tails.. cheapest I have found and had not problems in 12 months of use. Very happy with it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Domestic cylinders come in different grades. Grade 3 is rated at 10m head of water. Grade 2 is rated at 20m head and grade 1 is rated at 30m head.
    10m head is about 1 bar so you would need a grade 1 (rated at 3 bar) and then fit a pressure relief valve so that the pressure goes no higher. Once you have bought all this you might just as well buy a marine one. A vertical cylinder will work horizontaly, there is no diference between the two other than the fittings are in different places and a horizontal one is round at both ends. Cradles are available at 35.00 a pair. The only benefit that I can see is that you would get more stored water for your money but it's not going to save you a fortune.

<hr width=100% size=1>