http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/press-rele...F4AF512173EFD3
    Last edited by tom52; 10-05-12 at 16:07. Reason: More Info

ribrage is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tom52 View Post
    Looks like another tragic drowning whilst in dinghy between shore and boat

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/new..._after_search/

More here...

http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/press-rele...F4AF512173EFD3
    Muskateer of stuton is owned by a friend of mine if any one has any more details on this please PM me
    No one home...............Gone sailing !
    http://www.sailblogs.com/member/blown-away/

Boomshanka is offline Registered User

Are we there yet?

oldharry is offline Registered User

".... unconscious in the water without a lifejacket." A tragedy for everybody and thoughts are very much with the family and crew.

Now where is my LJ? On board in its locker. I almost certainly would have done the same as him on the short trip ashore in Studland to pick up crew, particularly with an inflatable to provide positive buoyancy anyway. In fact very often have. Its never as safe as it seems....

Edit - and it occurs to me: Boat on a swinging mooring, LJ in its locker on board. So how do I get to the boat? In the dinghy of cour.... oh!
    Last edited by oldharry; 10-05-12 at 19:03. Reason: Nasty thought....
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

MrCramp is offline Registered User

Maddy Davey, Portland Coastguard Watch Manager said,

As summer approaches we want all boat users to keep safe when heading out on the water. Please wear your lifejacket on deck and when you are on a tender because sadly, these tragic accidents do happen even on short trips

Perhaps a reminder for anyone who does not follow the above advice! It is the relatives and friends left behind who end up being devasted when such an accident happens.

Seajet is offline Registered User

I've been going to & from moorings, not wearing a lifejacket, since 1970 or so.

Last year I decided to start wearing a lifejacket; last year I turned my dinghy over on the mooring and went in.

I am one of 4 experienced people at my club who have gone in from the dinghy, all solo...

We were very lucky, this poor chap wasn't; he wasn't doing anything outrageously daft, it was something I'd suggest all cruiser operators reading this have done. He didn't deserve this...

My sincere condolences to family & crew.

timbartlett Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    I've been going to & from moorings, not wearing a lifejacket, since 1970 or so.

Last year I decided to start wearing a lifejacket; last year I turned my dinghy over on the mooring and went in....
    Forty years not wearing lifejacket, no problem
    One year wearing lifejacket, that year you fall in.

Pure coincidence? Or is there some connection? I know I am even more careful riding a motorbike in jeans than in leathers, and it is often suggested that wearing crash-helmets makes cyclists less careful. Are modern sailing dinghies less seaworthy than their predecessors because clubs nowadays have fleets of RIBs instead of a single diesel-powered launches?

Do we take more risks if we have more safety equipment?

Seajet is offline Registered User

Tim,

not wishing to hijack this very sad thread, but I can assure you I wasn't affected by wearing a LJ, in fact by that stage of the season it had become routine and I was barely aware of it, I was quite surprised when it inflated !

I mentioned the timing to illustrate the fact I was very lucky with my decision.

As people will say, and it's true, the only good which can come of the tragedy at Studland is if it spurs a lot of people into wearing LJ's and being safety conscious, especially at places like this with a dark, wide rough open sea usually to leeward.

prv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by timbartlett View Post
    Are modern sailing dinghies less seaworthy than their predecessors because clubs nowadays have fleets of RIBs
    Yes, but I think that's a conscious design decision rather than an insidious effect like the "conservation of risk" theory.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by MrCramp View Post
    Maddy Davey, Portland Coastguard Watch Manager said,

As summer approaches we want all boat users to keep safe when heading out on the water. Please wear your lifejacket on deck and when you are on a tender because sadly, these tragic accidents do happen even on short trips

Perhaps a reminder for anyone who does not follow the above advice! It is the relatives and friends left behind who end up being devasted when such an accident happens.
    OK with the on a tender, I will even add when transferring, between vessels, But not always when on deck.