Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Seajet is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fireball View Post
    Oh really. So what age did you get let loose in a boat. Ask an Olympian next time you see one and see how closely supervised their sailing was.
    Fireball,

I have to say you seem to be having a bad day.

While 'Swallows & Amazons' style sailing for kids is fine in theory, this is the 21st century and we've moved on re safety kit, - and awareness of child molestation for that matter - and we usually tend not to shove little boys up chimneys either ! ( apart from 'trick or treat' when the little sods deserve it ) .

Edit;

as for a tender being just a ' manner of keeping the cash dry ' while everyone apparently should swim to and from their boat, all I can say is I'll have a half measure of whatever you're on !
    Last edited by Seajet; 15-05-12 at 23:32.

Default A tribute to a fine skipper

I have known the skipper who died so tragically in Studland for well over 35 years. He was a man whom I have sailed with in a variety of different craft and weather conditions. A Master Mariner, Ocean Yachtmaster and Ofshore Yachtmaster Instructor he was a man who I had the utmost confidence in. Indeed he prepared me for my own Yachtmaster Offshore Exam.

None of us will ever know what happened out there but his friends know that they have lost a remarkable friend and a true man of the sea.
    When I grow up I am going to become a meterologist. It is the only profession I know that pays you 50,000 a year for consistently getting it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Fireball,

I have to say you seem to be having a bad day.
    I reckon he is on top form today and is one of the few consistently level headed posters here, as opposed to the majority who surf around looking for an online punch-up after reading their Daily Express cover to cover.

At least this thread has highlighted the danger to yachtsmen of dinghy and shore-side accidents, something that the official champions of Health & Safety have failed to communicate as a priority over the years.

The pig-headed implacable obstinacy of those who refuse to wear lifejackets in situations where there is more than enough evidence of the hazard and risk (as this thread highlighted yet again) I can deal with.

But please don't put children at risk as you try to prove how "right" you are, because you're not right.

Imagine the impact on your families and friends of your early death - even if you don't want to take a simple precaution for yourself, surely you owe your loved ones a little less selfishness in the choices you make.

We don't know the circumstances of this latest loss, but going in small tenders is risky, so why not, for the sake of your loved ones, mitigate that risk and get in the habit of mitigating it.

Like I wrote, I once knew a refusenik like you, he had every answer in the world as to why one shouldn't wear a lifejacket - he's dead now, drowned in a simple tender accident, going from yacht to shore, in a place he knew, in benign conditions. Had he worn a lifejacket he would be here today.

And his family still grieve his loss and miss him every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    To those who advocate a handheld VHF or a waterproof mobile phone - is there any research that shows how strong a signal (if any) they propagate when soaking wet and 5cm above sea level?
    I know the discussion has moved on since this question was asked, but anyway......

I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-B210.../dp/B0027I8DT8

to which I keep a floating key-ring permanently attached.

It certainly rings when floating in a bucket of water, although I didn't go so far as trying to speak

Worth noting too that it has an impressively bright LED torch built in.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Red View Post
    I once knew a refusenik like you, he had every answer in the world as to why one shouldn't wear a lifejacket - he's dead now, drowned in a simple tender accident, going from yacht to shore, in a place he knew, in benign conditions. Had he worn a lifejacket he would be here today.

And his family still grieve his loss and miss him every day.
    The most poignant and to the point statement I have read on the subject. It shines a very bright light into all those daft wee arguments about the sanctity of personal choice.

- W

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Red View Post
    But please don't put children at risk as you try to prove how "right" you are, because you're not right.
    You own a boat, water is dangerous and kills people. So why do you continue to put your family at risk in pursuit of a leisure activity?

Lakesailor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chewi View Post
    ...argued with one another like I used to do with my late father after a few beers, with no prospect of anyone changing their opinion.

Go to bed guys and wake up in less belligerent moods.
    Except that one side is merely asking not to be lectured to and the other side insists on lecturing.
    I've waded through this farago and it seems that the LJ supporters have no other position. There doesn't seem to be any blurring at the edges and more worryingly they cannot accept that it is down to a free choice.

There are always hypothetical cases introduced to prove the need for life jackets and the utter, utter folly of never wearing one.

That is OK. That's their opinion.

What stick's in my throat is the evangelical zeal used to try and persuade everyone they are right and their attitude should be adopted by all.

I don't know anything about the guy who died in the OP but it seems he was a very well experienced, and qualified, sailor.

An older sailor died in similar circumstances on the lake a couple of years ago.

I am not suggesting that either of them were anything other than unfortunate accidents.

However, you just don't know what is going on in someone's life. That may make them less careful than usual.......

Dave100456 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Lakesailor View Post

What stick's in my throat is the evangelical zeal used to try and persuade everyone they are right and their attitude should be adopted by all.
    Well said.
    I have very strong views on non swimmers in boats. With or without life jackets my view is they should not be allowed near water, let alone out at sea. Where I differ from some of the contributors to this debate is that I accept that it is personal choice and do not call for legislation to outlaw it.

Talulah is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dave100456 View Post
    Well said.
    I have very strong views on non swimmers in boats. With or without life jackets my view is they should not be allowed near water, let alone out at sea.
    Disabled? Elderley? Temporarily disabled i.e. Leg/Arm in plaster.

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast