Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    DogWatch Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    I still don't understand why mobile phones aren't waterproof except very expensive models, so the current answer seems to be a waterproof handheld VHF on a lanyard to the tender operators' lifejacket; a torch is always handy too, I carry a small LED one 24/7 and recommend it.
    http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php...121---open-box

I have a friend who misses her dad soooo much, and as she goes through her life almost every day she thinks of things she would have liked to have shared with her daddy, her first hero.

And every day she worries about her mum who has become so very introverted and unsocial since she lost her childhood sweet heart and her rock.

He would still be here if he had worn his LJ in his tender, but like some on here he was super gung-ho about the need to wear a life jacket. I can hear him now as he trotted out all his "excuses" regularly for not wearing it, and i often wonder if they went through his head as he tried to live in his last few moments.

Please everyone, use them.

Seajet is online now Registered User

Dogwatch,

that's excellent, thanks very much !

The last time I looked a waterproof mobile was 400...now this thing is 48...

Talulah is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Red View Post
    He would still be here if he had worn his LJ in his tender
    Not wishing to cause offence but being devils advocate.
    The wearing of the lifejacket would not have guaranteed such an outcome. It may have increased his chances or it may have made recovery of the body easier.
    Others factors come into play. i.e. Crotch straps. Without which he may have slipped out of his LJ as his body became limp to the cold. etc etc

I wonder what happens if the dinghy is tethered to a second or even third dinghy ie one either side. or some form of floats acting as stabilizers each side of the dinghy

If done well it would not capsize ?

Again lifejackets yes

Though now as i read on another thread only a day ago a very good idea is a bright light source on the lifejacket, there are "cool" rated L.E.D.s (light emmitting diodes). These could flash.

I think there should be a vertical extension at the back of the jacket to host the led/s above the head so they can be seen clearly.

Also rfid chips could help the coastguard zero in on your location and who wouldnt want to be found quickly ?

I think we have a lot of good tech already to use as is.

As cold is a killer im seriously considering a dry suit at all times.

RIP this poor man, my condolences to his Family.
    Last edited by Ben Dockrell 22; 15-05-12 at 07:38.
    Stearing at goats is only for pervs.

Quote Originally Posted by webcraft View Post
    We are specifically talking about the UK here, where the water is cold and people tend to be wearing a lot of clothing.

- W
    Talk about generalisation!!
    I went out to the boat at the weekend - trousers and shirt ... shoes that would slip off ... yes this is in the UK - just the opposite end to you!

I swam with more than that on a couple of days previous!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    If more people wear lifejackets in the tender, hopefully together with a real means of attracting attention if things go pear shaped, the sad death of this skipper will not be in vain, I hope this may be a small comfort to his family and crew...
    Well said - lets face it they are no more cumbersome than a body warmer these days - in fact you can even get them built into a nice sailing jacket if your trip to the pub requires a degree of sartorial elegance.

I must admit that for many years we never wore LJ's - in fact even in the early 90's when I did all the RYA training we knew where they were but they only came out in the dark or extreme conditions.

How times have changed - since the kids came along we all wear them all the time - and good quality auto ones with all the bells and whistles - well lights & whistles anyway !

Kids have never known any other way and when a 10 year old instinctively & innocently asks why someone isn't wearing one I have yet to hear any adult come up with a decent answer - or any answer for that matter !

Seajet is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Al Dickson View Post

How times have changed - since the kids came along we all wear them all the time - and good quality auto ones with all the bells and whistles - well lights & whistles anyway !

Kids have never known any other way and when a 10 year old instinctively & innocently asks why someone isn't wearing one I have yet to hear any adult come up with a decent answer - or any answer for that matter !
    My Dad is 88 and still fighting fit; he was a Leading Air Mechanic in WWII and describes some awful scenes re. aircraft trying to land on carriers ( he's now on tape at the Imperial war Museum ) but I have to be really stern with him to put a lifejacket on in the tender, he thinks it's 'just for fairies' and I'm over-cautious !

If one persists though he'll wear it if only to shut me up, this may be a guideline for dealing with recalcitrant crew...

oldharry is online now Registered User

LJs are essential, and this accident has highlighted that once again, but as Seajet and others have commented, they do not GUARANTEE survival. They improve the chance of survival, by a long way, but we should be no less vigilant just because we are wearing them.

The Studland accident was overshadowed in the press by the tragic death of a father and son in the boating accident on the River Avon. Again our thoughts and sympathies are with the family and friends.

On this occasion both WERE wearing LJs.
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

Billjratt is offline Registered User

So, we (at least I am) are converted. We use our preferred buoyancy device when in the dinghy.
    If I buy one of these waterproof phones, which number am I going to have on fast-dial? The pub I have just left will be full of useful types maybe, and it is nearby, the CG is (soon to be) centralised somewhere and will have to call a man-in-a-van. The clubhouse -anyone there?
    OK if you're part of a group/crew, but what if you're on your own?
    Mini flares http://www.safety-marine.co.uk/distr...-flare-kit.htm are a possibility, is there anything better around? These and other mini flares seem to need to be assemled onto a launcher before use, which may not be easy under some circumstances. Wonder if the old fashioned mini flares are still available anywhere?
    Last edited by Billjratt; 15-05-12 at 08:49.
    Left hand down a bit.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast