Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dewent View Post

As we draw 2.25m I was nervous of just giving it a go as an alternative is a long way away, Stravanger or Northern Ireland.

...are you sure?????

Donald

A1Sailor is offline Registered User

...I was nervous of just giving it a go as an alternative is a long way away, Stravanger or Northern Ireland.
    I didn't quite follow this bit either. I've never heard of Stravanger, and if Stavanger was meant then it is a pretty long way away!

Anyway, it would appear that there aren't any pontoons -and the Harbour Master is unresponsive.
    Last edited by A1Sailor; 13-05-12 at 18:54. Reason: sp
    Sadler 25 on the Clyde

Stravanger?
    Stranraer perhaps, at least that was where I thought he meant.

Gordonmc is offline Registered User

A mate took a run down on his bike yesterday.
    Lunch at the Crown... sounded good to me.
    I asked if there was any evidence of pontoons... there is activity with piles being driven but it is slow going as they are going into granite bedrock.
    The pontoon will be for the lifeboat and the plans for visitor pontoons have been dropped.
    This is all third hand, however.
    Visit MarinaSkip to get rid of your unwanted boaty stuff (and pick up
    some more!)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip/

Seajet is offline Registered User

In this years copy of "Welcome Anchorages" picked up in Scotland it shows two pontoons in the inner harbour which it describes as "newly developed" from Easter 2012 and gives the same tel no and email address.

I quote "excellent facilities, including showers, water and electricity at berths."

Is this a complete lie or just a mystery?
    I think this is a sad case of a publication having to go by rather optimistic press releases, in the hope it would be 'current' by publishing time !

As for the chum having lunch in the Crown, I am extremely jealous, lucky *** !

dewent is offline Registered User

Ah yes!!! Sorry folks I meant Stranraer.

Cool

Give the coxswain of the Portpatrick lifeboat a call on (01776) 810251......he will let you know what you need to know.
    Paul.

Default Portpatrick latest news

I was in PP overnight recently and spoke to Ian from Portpatrick Charters (http://www.portpatrickcharters.co.uk/) who gave me the following onfo.

The harbour was in the process of being taken over by the locals in the form of a trust and is currently being run by them whilst the legal process is ongoing. The pontoon is for the lifeboat and is being positioned outside of the inner harbour. They do not have any plans for pontoons in the inner harbour which really does not have much room for them anyway and it is thought that they would just be damaged in really bad weather. The entrance and some of the harbour has been dredged so access depths at low water will be better then the last few years.

The initial plan is to repair/ improve the ladders and provide a more friendly reception than some peolple seem to have had at times in the past. They are keen to hear suggestions from visitors for improvements that can be made. Possible improvements may be provision of large bouys at the ladders for preventing boats being damaged, limited water and electricity access and perhaps improved toilet/ shower facilities in the longer term.

It would be worth using the phone number on his website and contacting Ian if you wish to make contact or have suggestions for making improvements. Hope the above helps.

dewent is offline Registered User

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Conclusion = no pontoon then!

So 42ft with 2.2m draft - what's the verdict? Portpatrick will be fine, or, avoid?

earlybird is offline Registered User

I've been in with 1.9m draft, and apart from avoiding entrance/exit channel at LW, absolutely no depth issues.
    Entrance/exit HW -/+ 3hrs. would be very safe for 2.2m IMO.
    Tie up on the E. wall just inside the entrance for the best depth at LW.
    Def. avoid in strong SW weather.
    Last edited by earlybird; 15-05-12 at 15:33.