Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Moon.

rbcoomer is offline Registered User

Amusing thread & just a couple of 'observations'...

The fact that light may reflect more directly from the moon's surface perhaps also has more to do with lack of atmosphere/pollution than the surface? (Presumably the composition of which will be similar to Earth, albeit minus the organic matter?)

That fact is incidentally also quite useful for those that measure the distance to the moon continually by laser. This brings me to point 2 - Lustyd post #7 - I doubt the moon will ever 'fall' as it's actually moving away from us - about 10cm a year IIRC? This presumably will contribute to lesser tides, longer days and ultimately less 'core energy' in the Earth and thus ultimately we'll freeze over... Might take a while however so don't put away the shades just yet!
    Last edited by rbcoomer; 21-05-12 at 23:32. Reason: typo
    Fletcher Rally: swfbr.org.uk
    Facebook: /rbcoomer

VO5 is offline Registered User

Well, the thing is I sit here pondering trying to work it out for myself. My Aunt Lottie, to her dying day, refused to believe men had landed on the moon. She argued it was plucked out of the Eagle Comic and created into a film...that conveniently was so convincing that it was fiction turned into reality....and all inspired by Dan Dare and the Rocket Ship and The Mykon, etc.,

Now I don't exactly share her views because they are a bit extreme, but, there are things about the moon landing that puzzle me.

I have an open mind about it.

I do not go around digging as you suggest I ought to, because otherwise the risk exists I could be contaminated positively or negatively, as a defender or a subscriber to a conspiracy theory. In order to remain impartial I have to be in the middle of conflicting postures and not in one or the other.

That is why I am in favour of you discussing this among yourselves, as mine is a delicate posture I wish to maintain, so that I can sample (as a priviledged observer) without being accused of being a conspiracist or otherwise.

The Moon landings are historic fact.

By questioning them, you have already taken sides.

Or you are another incarnation of Ben Dockrell 22 on a wind-up.

Quote Originally Posted by VO5 View Post
    Well, the thing is I sit here pondering trying to work it out for myself. My Aunt Lottie, to her dying day, refused to believe men had landed on the moon. She argued it was plucked out of the Eagle Comic and created into a film...that conveniently was so convincing that it was fiction turned into reality....and all inspired by Dan Dare and the Rocket Ship and The Mykon, etc.,

Now I don't exactly share her views because they are a bit extreme, but, there are things about the moon landing that puzzle me.

I have an open mind about it.
    Given your admitted ignorance of facts and unwillingness to learn them, it seems your mind is not so much open as empty on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by AuldSot View Post
    Given your admitted ignorance of facts and unwillingness to learn them, it seems your mind is not so much open as empty on the subject.
    No, you do not understand my posture despite my attempts to explain it to you.
    I am impartial. I am not committed one way or the other.
    But I am very curious.
    My curiosity is what drives my quest for proper explanations, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyrot View Post
    The Moon landings are historic fact.

By questioning them, you have already taken sides.

Or you are another incarnation of Ben Dockrell 22 on a wind-up.
    It is because I am not taking sides that I reserve the right to question.

Now, for example, here is another riddle:~

The Earth is supposedly surrounded by a swathe of radioactive dust, called the Allen Bands that stretch out between the Earth and the Moon itself....

How can a Lunar Module cross them twice without being contaminated with radioactivity, or its occupants, for that matter ?

Quote Originally Posted by VO5 View Post
    It is because I am not taking sides that I reserve the right to question.

Now, for example, here is another riddle:~

The Earth is supposedly surrounded by a swathe of radioactive dust, called the Allen Bands that stretch out between the Earth and the Moon itself....

How can a Lunar Module cross them twice without being contaminated with radioactivity, or its occupants, for that matter ?
    Magic pixies sheltered the spaceship using faerie dust.

I'm sure someone could explain the Van Allen belt to you, but why should they?
    Most people would simply read up on the subject, if they had a real interest.

If anyone listed the things they didn't fully understand, there would be some extremely long lists around.

Have you any questions about sailing?

Apart from the fictitious "Gravilation".

Flying Penguin is offline Registered User

Having read through this thread, start to finish, one thing comes to mind............

Silence may be golden, but duct tape is more effective, and that comes in silver......

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyrot View Post
    I'm sure someone could explain the Van Allen belt to you, but why should they?
    Most people would simply read up on the subject, if they had a real interest.

If anyone listed the things they didn't fully understand, there would be some extremely long lists around.

Have you any questions about sailing?

Apart from the fictitious "Gravilation".
    I am not seeking solutions on this thread, I am impartial and somewhat puzzled. Therefore my posture is one of bemused curiosity. That is why it is preferable for you to discuss this among yourselves.

Gravilation is not ficticious. It is an anomaly that occurs exclusively on the very edge of an anticyclone carrying Polar Air.

And no, I don't have any questions about sailing, but I am sure you have lots.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast