Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Anchor recommendations

Hi guys

Thinking i may need a new anchor. The 1 that came with the boat is a Danforth type and weighs in around 3.5 kg.

The boat is a four winns 21.5 ft cuddy.

I'm thinking this is not man enough!?!?

Probability of anchoring mostly in sand.

Question!!! Which type of anchor works best for say sandy conditions, and what weight.
    Danforth, CQR, Bruce? 5kg, 7.5kg or 10kg

Many thanks in advance guys

Simon

MedMilo is offline Registered User

I think a common view is that for sand Bruce's are very good. Personally, having had a Bruce on a 48ft fb in the Med, I'd never, ever have one again - no sharp point to dig in so never managed to set properly if the bottom was remotely firm. I think a good Delta is pretty unbeatable for virtually all conditions. In terms of weight for your boat...if the manufacturer sold it with a 3.5kg, you almost certainly need a 6 or 7kg. My Sq58 came with a 25kg and I got them to switch it for a 40kg.

No doubt there'll be (many!) more views on anchor choices along shortly...

I have a 21 ft cuddy also and my main anchor is a 5kg 'Atlantic' with about 3.5m of chain... seems to hold fast even in a really strong tide. Never had any problems used to have a 'plough' on my last boat that was good for most sea bottoms...seems on memory to 'set' easier though...that said I'm sticking with my current set up.....

The best to dig in for the Med in my opinion are the Spades.

After that, there is no substitute for more weight for digging in and more surface area for holding power.

For any type of anchor, bigger is better.

davidej is online now Registered User

How long have you got?

Give me 1 for each different recommendation you get amd I will take early retirement!
    davidej

Quote Originally Posted by michaelchapman View Post
    For any type of anchor, bigger is better.
    My personal view is that this statement actually says everything worth saying, in the endless anchor debates.
    Otoh, in small boats not meant to overnight, I always followed exactly the opposite criteria: the cheaper and lighter, the better.
    Question for the OP: what's wrong with the existing anchor?

Question for the OP: what's wrong with the existing anchor?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all your thoughts etc etc

My original anchor just looks so small and is lightweight

I now see myself going for a 6 kg Delta that are sold on ebay. Think i've had one of these before and seemed to hold well.
    Once again, cheers guys.

Si

mikef is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MedMilo View Post
    I think a common view is that for sand Bruce's are very good. Personally, having had a Bruce on a 48ft fb in the Med, I'd never, ever have one again - no sharp point to dig in so never managed to set properly if the bottom was remotely firm. I think a good Delta is pretty unbeatable for virtually all conditions. In terms of weight for your boat...if the manufacturer sold it with a 3.5kg, you almost certainly need a 6 or 7kg. My Sq58 came with a 25kg and I got them to switch it for a 40kg.

No doubt there'll be (many!) more views on anchor choices along shortly...
    Agree with that completely. My last 3 boats in the Med were all originally equipped with Bruce anchors. They're OK in sand if the seabed is clean but wherever there is weed, the Bruce cannot seem to cut through the weed to get a grip on the sand. For that reason, I changed the Bruces on my boats for Deltas which are much better at cutting through weed and also seem to work acceptably well in stony or mud seabeds although the Bruce may be better in mud. Also agree that boat builders always fit the minimum anchor size they can get away with which is criminal on something costing megabucks.
    Lewmar website http://www.lewmar.com/products.asp?i...pe=3&channel=1 recommends 4kg or 6kg Delta for 21 footer. I'd always go with the larger if the bow roller can take it

Thanks Mike. Backs up what i'm now going to buy. Appreciate the support.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly1 View Post
    Hi guys

Thinking i may need a new anchor. The 1 that came with the boat is a Danforth type and weighs in around 3.5 kg.

The boat is a four winns 21.5 ft cuddy.

I'm thinking this is not man enough!?!?

Probability of anchoring mostly in sand.

Question!!! Which type of anchor works best for say sandy conditions, and what weight.
    Danforth, CQR, Bruce? 5kg, 7.5kg or 10kg

Many thanks in advance guys

Simon
    The Danforth is perfectly adequate for your size of boat. What you don't mention is how much chain you have. I would put 5 meters of chain and then warp. It will be fine. It is the chain that does most of the work. a Danforth is ideal for a boat of your size as it will fold flat and stow nicely in the bow locker. Anything else is going to be difficult to stow and will just get in the way.

Also you don't mention where you do your boating but looking I'm guessing around the south coast.