Default 1g10 starting problem

On friend's boat today and engine wouldn't start. Seems to be no fuel getting through. Would an air leak in fuel line do this? He said he had taken the primary filter off for some reason a few days ago. He may not have replaced it properly. Will be having a look for him tomorrow but just wondered if air getting somewhere would stop pump operating?

I have a rubber bulb in my own fuel line for ensuring air is expellled at filter change etc.

It needs bleeding if he has had the filter at the back of the engine off. That filter is also notoriously difficult to seal when replacing.

Burnham Bob is offline Registered User

On my 1GM10 on the old boat, I had to slacken off the banjo bolt next to it to get a metal strap wrench on the slotted ring that tightens up the filter housing. Otherwise it was difficult to tighten up and that might mean it sucks air. Check the O ring is in place properly too.

Tighten the housing, bleed the filter then bleed the line going to the injector - there's a screw at the front of the engine - fairly obvious when you see it.

I was lucky my tank was above the engine so it all fed by gravity.

Burnham Bob is offline Registered User

Just read the original post again - you say the primary filter. Is that a CAV or RAcor type rather than the engine fine filter located at the back of the engine itself? It's perfectly possible that if it that hasn't been installed correctly it would be sucking air.

Drips of diesel should be a giveaway. Blled everything, then using the lever on the lift pump should squirt fuel out of the bleed screw on the injector pipe if its getting through.

DogWatch Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dgadee View Post
    On friend's boat today and engine wouldn't start. Seems to be no fuel getting through. Would an air leak in fuel line do this? He said he had taken the primary filter off for some reason a few days ago. He may not have replaced it properly. Will be having a look for him tomorrow but just wondered if air getting somewhere would stop pump operating?

I have a rubber bulb in my own fuel line for ensuring air is expellled at filter change etc.
    Well if you, ahem, your friend took apart the fuel circuit you, sorry, your friend will need to bleed the engine.

If you your friend is unsure how to do this, there are two bolts to crack open. The first one is just under the MO in the word REMOTE (It has a philips head).

Use the lift pump until fuel squirts and tighten back up. The next which is meant to self bleed but hardly ever does is the olive on the top of the injector, you can either try this by hand or crack it off and crank the engine, as it starts tighten the bolt down (be careful not to over tighten).

Hope this helps you, your friend sort his, er, your problem.

"Well if you, ahem, your friend took apart the fuel circuit you, sorry, your friend will need to bleed the engine."

Ahem, indeed! My engine is an old vetus ..

Thanks for the advice. Will report back.

Engine going. Too windy yesterday but he went out this morning and bled the whole system and all is well.

Thanks for advice.