Default Foresails questions

On my Folksong I have a roller reefing fore sail. Slightly in front of that is a second forestay. I have three hank on jibs, large, medium and a storm sail.
    I have tried sailing without the roller reefer but I like the convenience. I think that changing sails single handed in bad weather will be difficult.
    My questions are; do I keep all the sails on the boat, are hank on sails stored with sheets attached, what fitting is used to attach the bottom of the sail to the deck easily, and could I tack them around the roller reefer if they were hoisted on the forestay?
    Cheers
    Guy

One argument against any kind of twin foresail arrangement is that the tension that can be applied to the one carrying a sail is only about half that of a single stay and this can result in a sagging jib unless it is cut for the purpose.

Certainly, furling a jib is a lot easier and quicker than changing jibs and the time gained can make up for the slight loss of efficiency of a part-furled sail

If you want to keep the hanked sails, I have never heard of anyone stowing the sheets with the sails attached. Normally, the sheets would be left in situ, ready for whichever sail was going to be set, and that sail could be left hanked on and tied up to the rail. Boats with a twin arrangement tend to have duplicated fittings such as genoa cars to make this possible, otherwise you would have to thread the sheets for each sail or use the same ones.

Tacking round the reefer could well be a problem. When both foresails are furling it is common practice to furl the jib before tacking. In the olden days when I had hankable sails I would normally shackle the tack to an eye near the bow, though in some boats a short wire strop is used if it is desirable to raise the sail a bit.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

VicS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Polly1 View Post
    On my Folksong I have a roller reefing fore sail. Slightly in front of that is a second forestay. I have three hank on jibs, large, medium and a storm sail.
    I have tried sailing without the roller reefer but I like the convenience. I think that changing sails single handed in bad weather will be difficult.
    My questions are; do I keep all the sails on the boat, are hank on sails stored with sheets attached, what fitting is used to attach the bottom of the sail to the deck easily, and could I tack them around the roller reefer if they were hoisted on the forestay?
    Cheers
    Guy
    If you intend using then they wont be any use if they are not on the boat.

Normally only one set of sheets, so no, except it may be useful to have sheets already on the storm sail. But may have to leave a set of sheets on the rolled up sail.

A strop on the stem head with a snap shackle on it perhaps for the sail.

If there is not good clearance between the forestay and the roller it will be next to impossible to tack them IMHO

Thanks for the replies
    I am afraid it leads me to another question.
    My current Genoa sheet is one line with a knot in the middle attaching to the sail. This makes it difficult to remove.
    How do most people attach their sheets so they are easily removable?
    I wouldnt want any metal here as this part flogs against the rigging when tacking.
    Cheers