Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

southwold well worth a visit as is the Ore and Alde.
    Aldburgh is a must not miss you get in all with your depth (timing essential though)

MrCramp is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by andylink View Post

Any further questions feel free to ask.
    Hi Andy

I am helping a pal bring his boat (33ft steel motor-sailor) from Grimsby down to the Orwell. Five years ago I came down the Norfolk coast, perhaps only half a mile off the shore from North of Great Yarmouth right down to Lowestoft, negotiating the obstruction (wreck??) just near Lowestoft.

Do you know if that is still a good route for a boat with 5 ft draft and is it difficult to avoid the shallows which I have heard about when approaching the Northern-most bit from the Wash?

MrCramp - From what I can recall of my brief passage around that area I think it's probably worth investing in the most up to date chart you can get your hands on. And then call the GY HM (or similar authority) to confirm it's still valid - as the sands can change drastically, rapidly. And then cross fingers that no heavy conditions have changed things since the HM last checked.

Whitby is a great town to visit and you will have no problems as long as there is not a norterly sea running (as mentioned earlier).
    There are new pontoons at Scarborough which is also well worth a visit. The area of the pontoons has been dredged and you should have no problems at 1.6m. but be wary of mooring alongside other boats if you are close to the harbour side as the dredging ends abruptly (there is a duty harbour person 24/7 so call them as you come in and they will position you). Scarborough is open to the South and Whitby to the North so they complement each other in terms of a rough weather haven.
    I would avoid Bridlington which has the worst facilities I have found anywhere.
    Hartlepool is great for shopping and restraunts with good marina facilities and is also well sheltered from the N. The marina is limited access (about + /- 4h )but you can always shelter at Hartlepool in the Kafega landing area of the docks - just sail in and tie up

Wells Next the Sea is another alternative along that coast.

Although like many other entries it has a bar and the tide runs quick, the harbour master is always very helpful and it's a lovely destination, very boater friendly with good facilities.

http://www.wellsharbour.co.uk/

Also has webcam so you can see how busy it is before you get there..

Quote Originally Posted by MrCramp View Post
    Hi Andy

I am helping a pal bring his boat (33ft steel motor-sailor) from Grimsby down to the Orwell. Five years ago I came down the Norfolk coast, perhaps only half a mile off the shore from North of Great Yarmouth right down to Lowestoft, negotiating the obstruction (wreck??) just near Lowestoft.

Do you know if that is still a good route for a boat with 5 ft draft and is it difficult to avoid the shallows which I have heard about when approaching the Northern-most bit from the Wash?
    Large supply ships regularly transit inshore of the scroby sands wind farm to Yarmouth and also the inshore route to Lowestoft so draft shouldn't be a problem. Strong persistent winds can move the sand banks about so it's always worth having up to date charts although the main channels are well buoyed. Yarmouth as a port are only interested in their own port limits which are surveyed regularly but anything outside of the limits we will not be able to comment on.

I've gone from Yarmouth to Lowestoft more times than I can remember in various craft with drafts over 2m inshore of the banks and also north to the humber, Grimsby too and always gone inshore. Grab a chart and spend half an hour studying it, well worth it.

If you make a Port stop at Yarmouth let me know and if I'm about I'll come and catch your lines.

MrCramp is offline Registered User

Thanks for the info andylink. We intend to stop at Lowestoft as it is more "yacht friendly", but thanks for your offer.

Coming from the North I have found that a direct line for the cockle buoy avoids most hazards. You can then navigate round the close in to the coast using the channel. Most of the inside passage runs due S. Be prepared for fun and games with the sat nav / radar due to the wind turbines sprouting all over the place - suggest regular chart work and verifiation of position when you can. Previously a forumite reported calling out the lifeboat because his sat nav failed approaching the Norfolk coast !!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MrCramp View Post
    Thanks for the info andylink. We intend to stop at Lowestoft as it is more "yacht friendly", but thanks for your offer.
    Can't blame you