Sneaky Pete is offline Registered User

Default Coolbox retrofit

Is it possible to change a cool box to a fridge/freezer application to run off 12V and mains electrical supply? Or is the solution a new installation to fit a fridge freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Is it possible to change a cool box to a fridge/freezer application to run off 12V and mains electrical supply? Or is the solution a new installation to fit a fridge freezer.
    Yes - a couple have been in PBO over the past few years.

Bash out the old box, extend and add plenty of insulation, get local glass fibre bloke to flowcoat inside, add evaporator & site compressor in an adjacent space.

If you have a suitable coolbox/locker, then it might be better than the major surgery involved in in fitting a full unit.

(With a decent fitted charger & shore power, I didn't bother with a seperate mains feed)

Now, if only I could make a *tiny* 12v freezer, just large enough to make a dozen ice cubes...
    "when the ship arrives in a wine country, there the master shall procure them wine to drink." Article XVII, Rules Of Oleron

philip_stevens is online now Registered User
    Location : live near Saint Ives, Cornwall, moorings at Falmouth, laid-up at Penzance

There is an article at http://www.waeco.co.uk/page.aspx?page=inst1&s=7 and click on "Installation Guide with Step-by-Step Instructions".

This is an article written by a Westerly Konsort owner who retro-fitted a fridge unit to an existing coolbox.

I have a very similar installation on my Konsort Duo.

Excellent thanks

Yes. I did it on my Sadler 29.

New evaporator plate in existing coolbox:-

Compressor and extra battery under cockpit floor.

The existing coolbox had 90mm of insulation round it as I found when drilling for the pipes but this is down to the double skin "unsinkable" construction. But it does mean that the fridge uses a manageble amount of battery power when at anchor. Note that running the pipes is a slow careful two-person job if they are not to be damaged. All the kit comes gassed-up with simple compression fittings for easy DIY connections. I got mine http://www.penguinfrigo.co.uk/shop/c...c-evaporators/.
    ۞

I am toying with idea of doing this but wonder if it's worth the 400 or so. Did you get substantial benefit out of your upgrade? Your cool box looks exactly like mine, but I don't have a Sadler.

Like DJE we changed our cool box by fitting an Isotherm kit but they are all similar ideas on a theme and often share components. Brilliant bit of kit and is very quiet, runs 2 minutes in 15 or so depending on use. Minimal electrical use.

Our coolbox had 50mm of insulation, so I added several layers of that B&Q silver radiator insulation stuff, taped the edges and added a plug to the coolbox drain to minimise the movement of cold air. Condensation can be a problem after a couple of days use but a couple of cloth beer mats in the bottom of the fridge mops it up nicely.

Pete
    Moody 31

Quote Originally Posted by dgadee View Post
    I am toying with idea of doing this but wonder if it's worth the 400 or so. Did you get substantial benefit out of your upgrade? Your cool box looks exactly like mine, but I don't have a Sadler.
    Worth every penny IMHO. We can now keep fresh food for three or four days at anchor and we aren't reliant on re-freezing the blue freezer blocks or buying bottles of frozen water.
    ۞

Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    Yes. I did it on my Sadler 29.

New evaporator plate in existing coolbox:-

Compressor and extra battery under cockpit floor.

The existing coolbox had 90mm of insulation round it as I found when drilling for the pipes but this is down to the double skin "unsinkable" construction. But it does mean that the fridge uses a manageble amount of battery power when at anchor. Note that running the pipes is a slow careful two-person job if they are not to be damaged. All the kit comes gassed-up with simple compression fittings for easy DIY connections. I got mine http://www.penguinfrigo.co.uk/shop/c...c-evaporators/.
    Thats a smart job looks great this could be the solution, thanks for the link.

Pete