Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Washing Machines

Has anyone tried cheap portable "caravan" twin tub washing machines on a boat? While I have a generator I really don't want to take up room installing a fixed front loader and they look as if they would do a reasonable job either standing in the heads or on the galley sink top and be able to stow away when not in use.
    The reviews on such as Amazon are typically varied with some saying they are great and others terrible....
    What does the folorum think?

We have one on our fairline targa. It works, washes ok ant the spin dryer does a better job than wringing out by hand. But ... You still have to dry it!

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    We have one on our fairline targa. It works, washes ok ant the spin dryer does a better job than wringing out by hand. But ... You still have to dry it!
    Yes I expect you do but so you would with any other washing machine I guess.

Two specific questions then.

1. How long have you had it? Because some reviews suggest the spin dry broke after several weeks and they could not contact the manufacturer ( Chinese I guess?)

2. Is it big enough to handle a double duvet cover? Bedding being one of the most bulky items...

Hi

The one i have is similar to this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-5-8KG-...ht_5911wt_1067

but this one has an electric as opposed to gravity pump out - which is a rather handy extra.

We have had it 2 years. It does not get much of a bashing but seems quite well made.

Double duvet? I would think so. It will do fair sized towels 1 by one.

Eurydice is offline Registered User

Boatmike,

A friend had a twin tub as described and she used to sit it in the cockpit with hose down cockpit drain (not best for the environment I know) anyway she could do a double duvet but that was about the limit. It never failed her and was quite good I suspect people who overload will ruin the spin function in no time, do just a few pieces at a time.

I personally hand washed and had/have a mangle which is fastened to the pushpit boards which works really well. Its so easy to stow, that was our problem these machine do take up a lot of room and we lived on board fulltime so space was at a premium for us. I'd recommend going the mangle route myself more compact, easy to transport and more eco friendly.

Happy washing.
    Giving thanks for our freedom

Quote Originally Posted by boatmike View Post
    Yes I expect you do but so you would with any other washing machine I guess.

Two specific questions then.

1. How long have you had it? Because some reviews suggest the spin dry broke after several weeks and they could not contact the manufacturer ( Chinese I guess?)

2. Is it big enough to handle a double duvet cover? Bedding being one of the most bulky items...
    1. We've had ours for three ? years, but only use it when we go on "extended" cruises, so not relevant.
    2. I wouldn't have thought it would manage a duvet cover, washer OK, spin dryer probably not. Either way you would have to pack it carefully into the spinner so that the weight is evenly spaced. The drum goes off centre very easily and there's not enough grunt for it to self adjust as it gets up to speed.

The washer is fine, spinner OK but loads invariably have to be split. IME a heavy, wet pair of jeans was just about all it could cope with.

Folks break them 'cos they just bung things in and hope for the best.

CharlesSwallow is offline Registered User

Ours is three years old too and we are using it as I write this, to launder the bedsheets in Lefkas Marina. It works from the inverter too and unlike "marinised" domestic automatics, isn't heavy and doesn't have a wasteful internal heater. There is now a new "squared-off" version available which appears to have an increased capacity. Wouldn't be without ours

Chas

Quote Originally Posted by Eurydice View Post
    Boatmike,

A friend had a twin tub as described and she used to sit it in the cockpit with hose down cockpit drain (not best for the environment I know) anyway she could do a double duvet but that was about the limit. It never failed her and was quite good I suspect people who overload will ruin the spin function in no time, do just a few pieces at a time.

I personally hand washed and had/have a mangle which is fastened to the pushpit boards which works really well. Its so easy to stow, that was our problem these machine do take up a lot of room and we lived on board fulltime so space was at a premium for us. I'd recommend going the mangle route myself more compact, easy to transport and more eco friendly.

Happy washing.
    Thanks to everyone who contributed but I have to say that Euridice's mangle sounds great!
    On reflection, having downsized from a 36ft catamaran to a 33ft mobo (Aquastar) the room taken up by these machines is a problem. Our plan is to potter down the French canals and eventually park in Greece for a few years so there will be laundremats en route I guess. It's just that we like to be self sufficient. As we will be cruising in summer only, underwear and clothing will be OK by hand but it's the prospect of washing bedding that could be difficult. However it's quite true that drying is the biggest problem and at least a little mangle would be a super thing to have but where the hell do you buy one these days? Last time I saw one was in the 1950s!

Minn is offline Registered User

The mangle idea is new to me and a very good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    The mangle idea is new to me and a very good one.
    do they do 12v mangles
    I may be wrong but not always