Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGooch View Post
    If you fill with Gelcoat, it will never fully dry, unless you add wax to it. This will be available from wherever you buy the Gelcoat. If you buy flowcoat, that won't need the wax, as it's already added (flowcoat is gelcoat with added wax).
    put tape over the gel to expel the air does the same job as wax additive
    I may be wrong but not always

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGooch View Post
    If you fill with Gelcoat, it will never fully dry, unless you add wax to it. This will be available from wherever you buy the Gelcoat. If you buy flowcoat, that won't need the wax, as it's already added (flowcoat is gelcoat with added wax).

Oh poo i ordered the stuff last night its isophthalic, Lloyd s Approved Gelcoat. but does not mention a wax.

Spent about 3 hours today removing the 4 broken screws and preping the whole area also cleaned the holes out, then added some glass fiber and resin to seal the hole up.

Ive seen vids on YouTube using plastic, can i assume it just a general piece of thick film/plastic or is more advanced than that.

PCUK is offline Registered User

As said, smooth the gel and then cover with sellotape.

Default gelcoat repair

Hi Mark, just spent 1/2 hour writting then time out so lost it all, CFS 01209821028 can supply everything you need they are on the net, I found Alex very helpfull
    Tony
    Last edited by T1ony; 16-05-12 at 21:06.

Default gelcoat repair

you can see from the pictures repair to my transome
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T1ony; 16-05-12 at 21:52. Reason: wiped out my pictures

carlton is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by T1ony View Post
    sorry Mark this site is not letting me show the other two pictures of the repair, its late bed time, I will write tomorrow or send me your e-mail address and I will explain how to do, it's not as bad as you may think.
    Tony
    Rather than do it by PM, I reckon there are plenty of people on here who would be happy to see an explanation of how to do gelcoat repairs, if you're willing to share...

kingfisher is offline Registered User

If you haven't started yet:

Clean out the holes with a dremel, don't be too carefull. You want a nice scoop forme (more surface contact=better)

Throroughly degrease with acetone and rags: dont dip, wipe, and wipe with several pieces of fresh cloth (best is a cloth roll,and after every wipe: remove a leaf); you dont want to spread the grease/grime, you want to remove it.

Normally you can just fill small holes with gelcoat, anything bigger than a screw hole can be filled first with fibre paste.

After applying the gelcoat with an artists brush, put a piece of tape over it, this will prevent it from sagging and give you a nice even surface. Any tape will do, I use mylar as it is stiffer and smoother.

You might have to go around with the gelcoat again, to fill little air bubbles/imperfections. Its basic maintenance each year: everywhere where there is a ding, where the fibre shows, or the gelcoat has been cracked up to the fibre MUST BE recoated. Otherwise moisture can get in.

Finnish with sanding, buffing and waxing. Wait with buffing untill fully hardened (in this weather: 2 weeks).

By the way: the wite gelcoat you ordered will not be the same color. The new gelcoat will be pure white, your boat will by now be washed-out-white. Colour matching is nearly impossible.
    Group of people on the pontoon: skipper is the one with the toolbox
    http://sirocco31.tripod.com
    http://www.certif.be

PaulGooch is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    put tape over the gel to expel the air does the same job as wax additive
    Aha, didn't think of that, thanks.
    Jeanneau Merry Fisher 805 For Sale. www.gooch.co.uk

Default gelcoat repair

I'll write how to do a bit later after dinner
    Last edited by T1ony; 16-05-12 at 21:06.

Default gelcoat repair

when I took off the swimplatform I found this, I did a quick repair so as to make it water tight, you will never see it again once the swimplatform is put back
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T1ony; 16-05-12 at 21:17. Reason: I wiped out my pictures