Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Oatcake is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by kyleview View Post
    I plan to sail to Pwllheli in June but cannot find much current information re the entry depth / sand bar / etc. I am told there is a dredger currently working there. Do you need to plan your entry / exit time carefully? I would not want to be waiting outside in a brisk wind from the south. I draw about 2m.

Thanks
    Pwllheli

+ or - 3 hours is going to be fine, follow the moveable green buoys rather than the posts if a choice exists. I'd even attempt it at -4 or shallower on a rising tide with a decent keel, as its soft as putty below the keel, so a touch isn't gonna kill you.

The berths are generous, the yacht club is excellent, there is always some sort class dinghy event on, it seems, which is great.

Sw to f5 being blown into the bay is fine as there is a decent lee outside the entrance, south or se blowing strong is going to need to get straight in, or stay off and wait or head/ stay to the north

Conwy

Conwy is a decent stop off from iom, quite difficult at night as the channel snakes and need to know exactly which green flash to head for, and not always the nearest.

Into the menai straits is easier at night IMO and plentiful free moorings available an hour or two sail past puffin. Fill yor boots on the gazillion moorings, or anchor below snowdonia.

raven is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LittleShip View Post
    Will he be able to moore a 2meter draught boat in Porth Madog ????

It's years since I have been in there and I cant remember if there is moorings there.

Tom
    Hi Tom,

Oops! hadn't spotted the 2m draught but yes there are some trot moorings available to visitors adjacent to "Cei Ballast" (Ballast Island) as you approach into the harbour. Best call the HM in advance to make sure that there is a space.

With that draught I would say entry / exit restricted to +/- 1 hour of high water as the channel shallows over the bar approx half distance between fairway marker and harbour entry channel.

If you were thinking of renewing your aquaintance with 'madog, have a word with Kawasaki as he knows were all the sandbanks are...having extensively surveyed them in previous years!

Kawasaki is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by raven View Post
    Hi Tom,

If you were thinking of renewing your aquaintance with 'madog, have a word with Kawasaki as he knows were all the sandbanks are...having extensively surveyed them in previous years!
    The sandbanks of Porthmadoc are slippy things
    The slip an slide with evil means
    One day it's to the Port they go
    Oh 'feck' it's Wednesday to starboard we go!
    You enter at your peril
    Unless on 'High' or 1 hour towitch side you go
    On Mondays all could change
    Towitch you refer to thursdays tides
    Cos Tuesday is a day of rest (*******s about Sundays) it's just the way the Tides do jest
    The place is worse than Nelson could tackle
    I,ve heard the local women cackle
    ' He's goin aground I would wager'
    Said one Awld Bird, an She was as wonder
    At forecasting the Yachts that would founder
    Now Friday, that's a no no
    By there yer boat don't need to go
    Saturdays a best, Neeps yer needs to give a rest!
    But best advice-- forget the rest
    The PMYC bar is dangerous, it sucks you in and your a Mess
    Forget the 'Plan' of next day departure
    It won't friggen happen!!!

'

LittleShip is offline Registered User

If you were thinking of renewing your aquaintance with 'madog, have a word with Kawasaki

In your dreams I'd rather risk the sandbanks than the fun box

Tom

john_morris_uk is offline Registered User

Lots of good advice. We were in Pwllelhi last week and the Hafan staff admitted that they are very conservative when giving depths out. When I phoned ahead they said come and look at the depth gauge when you arrive. When I talked to them they said that they usually give the depth in the tide table and ignore the 0.5 metres as an extra safety margin.

PS When we went in we thought that it might get as shallow as 2.3 metres and it never went below 2.7 metres...
    Wishing things away is not effective.

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    Lots of good advice. We were in Pwllelhi last week and the Hafan staff admitted that they are very conservative when giving depths out. When I phoned ahead they said come and look at the depth gauge when you arrive. When I talked to them they said that they usually give the depth in the tide table and ignore the 0.5 metres as an extra safety margin.

PS When we went in we thought that it might get as shallow as 2.3 metres and it never went below 2.7 metres...
    Thanks - what state of the tide did you enter at?

PS - where are you now - at Rhu?

Quote Originally Posted by kyleview View Post
    Thanks - what state of the tide did you enter at?

PS - where are you now - at Rhu?
    I think it was about LW - 2 1/2 on a fairly neap tide. We left on LW +2 the following morning and found it all very straightforward.

As I post this we are just off Arran heading towards Adrossan. On my mooring off Rhu tomorrow hopefully.

harstonwood is offline Registered User

And may I say John, watching your arrival etc how well organised and how easy you made it look. Conditions were pretty breezy with a fair old stream running, and you had to do it twice!

Sorry I didn,t get chance to say hi.

Atb

Quote Originally Posted by harstonwood View Post
    And may I say John, watching your arrival etc how well organised and how easy you made it look. Conditions were pretty breezy with a fair old stream running, and you had to do it twice!

Sorry I didn,t get chance to say hi.

Atb
    Gordon Bennett! I didn't know someone was watching? If you are referring to our arrival at Pwllelhi then you didn't spot my (very) novice crew when asked to increase the engine a little when I had left the boat motoring against a spring and was then still getting blown off in the gusts, put the helm the other way as well and made me go back to the cockpit rather briskly, biting my tongue as we got close to the posh boat in the adjacent berth? Fortunately I was able to correct things in time...

Was it you in the classic boat on the end of the next pontoon? Sorry we didn't have a chance to say hello. My forum burgee arrived after I had left on this trip...

AngusMcDoon is offline Registered User

Here's an update from an extensive survey done at 15:20 today...

Height of tide as calculated at time of survey...0.9m
    Depth shown on harbour entrance depth guage 1.75m
    Minimum depth found...1.8m

So depth appears to be better than I reported earlier and is currently 0.9m below CD.
    YAPP open source marine electronics hobby projects
    yappelectronics.co.uk/ybw