Default The unexplained outboard.

Did that get your attention.

Well we have a Suzuki 8 two stroke. Its runs like a dream when it starts, never misses a beat when it starts and will get our little rib on the plane and runs like a dream when it starts.

When its warm it always starts first pull no arguements. From cold if it does not go first pull then you may as well give up. A hundred pulls won't start it. We had the carb. cleaned ultrasonically last winter its been serviced by different mechanics over the years including Suzuki agents. Its always been a Bu88er to start. I have tried full choke, half choke, no choke , idle speed, medium speed, high speed, pump the bulb don't pump the bulb and all combinations of the above.

Any suggestions.

ribrage is offline Registered User

Talking NO

Quote Originally Posted by mocruising View Post
    Did that get your attention.

No

well maybe a little......

On the days that it hasnt started, try taking the plug out and seeing if its soaking wet and covered in fuel, a wet plug wont work, if the plug is semi dry try sticking it in the oven for 20 mins and refitting it (works for me)to make it hot.

IMPORTANT BIT: when you stop the engine , turn the fuel tap off rev the engine about half throttle and wait for the engine to die, dont turn it off on the kill switch, this will clean out any fuel left in the carb, as the remains in the carb can find its way into the cylinder and flood it on start up next time around or leave oil on the plug, especially if laid on its side when stored.

Then when you come to start it remember to turn the fuel back on and start it with full choke and max throttle , soon as it starts reduce the choke, keep revving it until it will idle on its on , if it stalls DONT use choke trying to restart it .... if you do see the first tip above.

what fuel is left in the carb will to a degree and over time evaporate but the oil that you have mixed into it wont, so running it dry when you have finished with it helps keep the carb clean and the cylinder dry for next time.

all the above works for my yamaha 15hp 2 stroke and was learnt from frustration
    No one home...............Gone sailing !
    http://www.sailblogs.com/member/blown-away/

I have a Suzuki DT 8 2 stroke thats exactly the same. I start it on 3/4 throttle and full choke, then tickle both to get her idling. Runs sweet on the inflatable up planing, AND its a long shaft!!

Another avenue of enquiry night be to get the stator windings checked.

Default Crankcase seals

Worn upper and lower crankcase bearings (if bush type) and/oil seals can do this. Air leaking into or out of crankcase can cause all sorts of starting probs. when engine warm expansion and oil film can reduce/remove symptoms. Big killer of chainsaws, strimmers and lawnmowers. Expensive to check unless you are mechanically minded though.

Also check you are using the correct plug, properly gapped. NGK would be my preference.
    If it is a problem with the seals, some people would advocate using a synthetic or semi-synth 2T oil. Worth a try.

Lakesailor is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie19 View Post
    Big killer of chainsaws,
    Tell me about it.
    Other than cold starting my chain saw is ultra reliable.
    Starting from cold can be a tedious job.

I just took my ryobi 2stroke multi tool (has attachemenys for hedgetrimming, branch lopping mini chainsaw, and you can get others) to a local lawnmower mechanic.

Now here's the interesting part - the mechanic said they set the carb really lean at the factory so it passes the emissions test, and carb adhustment is not possible as there is no slot in the head of the screws and it is recessed.

The lean burn setting makes starting a bu88er so he said he can saw off the edge around the carb adjustment screws so he can get at them, and richen the mix a bit. this makes staring a lot easier.

I'll pick it up on the weekend so we'll see...

VicS is offline Registered User

The first thing to do is to check that you have good fat blue sparks from both plug leads.. No point in going any further without.

Always worth fitting new plugs if you have not already tried them. They will be NGK BP6HS or BRP6HS for older models or B6HS or BR6HS for later models .

If sparks are good and plugs are good try spraying a little fuel/oil mixture directly into the carb throat. If it fires and runs even if only briefly look for air ingress around the inlet manifold/reed valve assembly, consider bad crankshaft seals as suggested or a carb problem.

Not using stale fuel?

Seajet is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PabloPicasso View Post
    I just took my ryobi 2stroke multi tool (has attachemenys for hedgetrimming, branch lopping mini chainsaw, and you can get others) to a local lawnmower mechanic.

Now here's the interesting part - the mechanic said they set the carb really lean at the factory so it passes the emissions test, and carb adhustment is not possible as there is no slot in the head of the screws and it is recessed.

The lean burn setting makes starting a bu88er so he said he can saw off the edge around the carb adjustment screws so he can get at them, and richen the mix a bit. this makes staring a lot easier.

I'll pick it up on the weekend so we'll see...
    This sounds like the culprit to me; poor starting from cold but good starting when warm is a sign of a weak mixture, any way of upjetting it ?