TYKE is offline Registered User

Default OK for Dylan but I want to turn Right!

My new (to me) boat has a Navico Wheel Pilot WP100 and it only turns left. Pressing the "Right"/starboard key shows a (green) light but has no action, the left key works as I would expect, both stepping and continuous.
    I dont know where to start looking for the problem so any help or suggestions would be welcome. I have found a parts list with some drawings but it doesnt help much.

ChattingLil is offline Registered User

sorry can't help, but I have a similar problem with my tiller pilot. I have been told to check whether it reads from an internal compass or whether it is reading from the fluxgate on board. I know my fluxgate is knackered (for a start it is disconnected! ) , so that is probably it. Perhaps you have the same?
    A love of sailing does not necessarily equate to a love of boat maintenance

If it turns left OK I doubt it is anything to do with the compass. From the light coming on the switch must be OK. That leaves two main possibilities. Number One. If there is a relay close to the motor that receives the current from the switch and then clicks in to run the motor, then examine the wiring to it and from it. Essentially a DC motor is reversed by reversing the direction of current flow, and if relay switched it may be simply that the "left" relay is properly connected and working, and the "right" relay is not connected properly, or faulty.

Number Two is more difficult to diagnose. If there is a box of electronics that controls how the motor operates the fault may well be there, and need an expert to find.

P.S. because it is an all in one unit I doubt that it has relays, but will rely on its "computer" to switch the motor current, but if you can check the connections from switch to "computer", do so.
    Last edited by Norman_E; 16-05-12 at 10:31.
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

I had an bright idea! Even if it will not turn right when you press the button, does it maintain course if you set it to auto mode, or does it just veer off to the left? If it maintains course the the computer is OK, because to do so it will have to be able to steer in both directions. In that case it has to be either the switch to computer wiring (the light may be another circuit) or a component inside the computer that passes your manual "turn right" command to the computer. Have you tried the tack function? (press and hold the tack key, then press right.)
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

AngusMcDoon is online now Registered User

One of the two output transistors that drive the motor each way blown. EdBeynon had this happen to his tiller pilot and he fixed it by soldering in a new one. Send him a PM and if he's in rare normal mode you may get a sensible reply.
    YAPP open source marine electronics hobby projects
    yappelectronics.co.uk

TYKE is offline Registered User

Thanks all for your responses. Norman E - good thinking, I will try the 'auto' fuction which at least will indicate whether its the switch/wiring or the computer, the Tack right didnt work but not sure if I tried Tack left.

Angus Mcdoom-I have pm-ed Ed and will report back when I have explored the problem further.

Thanks again for the rapid response, this forum realy is amazing.