Thread: gelcoat repair

Default gelcoat repair

Last edited by T1ony; 17-05-12 at 00:06. Reason: forgot to write

Sorry for your damage, not much I can do I'm afraid, but I've seen also the other thread where you asked about posting pics.
    And on this at least I could give a suggestion:
    If you cut and paste just the IMG link, rather than the thumbnail link, the big version of the pics will be directly visible in the thread.

It's sufficient to use (taking for instance the first of your pics), instead of this syntax:
    (URL=http;//s1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc486/T1ony/?action=view&current=P1010027.jpg)(IMG)http;//i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc486/T1ony/th_P1010027.jpg(/IMG)(/URL)

Just this one:
    (IMG)http;//i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc486/T1ony/P1010027.jpg(/IMG)

Mind, I replaced all square brackets with round ones, otherwise you would only see the pic and thumbnail, instead of the syntax.
    Anyhow, Photobucket prepares the IMG link for you already, just a matter of copying it in the thread.

The final result will be as follows:

jfm is offline Registered User

Tony
    When you go to "select action " in photobucket and get the yellow box, you have copied the wrong link code. you need to copy the one with "full size for bulletin boards" in the title. Not the one that says "thumbnail". sorry if I didn't explain well in my reply to your PM
    What you have got there in your post is clickable thumbnails that take people to the bigger pictures when clicked. It's better to post the actual pics, then non-one has to go to them

Separately, your pics are too wide.. They are 1024 pixels wide. (If you click your thumbnails it takes you to 600 pixel versions of your pics, but the native size at which you have uploaded them is 1024). You have to adjust this in Photbucket settings. You should get them up into Photobucket at 640 pixels wide. Otherwise the whole thread falls off peoples screen - see MapisM's post above

If you change this setting in PB, it will not retrospectively change the size of the pics you have already uploaded. It will only store future uploads at the new size

Good luck!

I appreciate this doesn't help your repair. GRP + gelcoat = some of the most repairable materials you can get, so that will all fix but what a nuisance. Good luck with it
    Last edited by jfm; 17-05-12 at 00:55.

rafiki_ is online now Registered User

Wow Tony, not nice. However this is repairable, you can have a go yourself, or if the crazing is looking daunting, there are expert repairers around. I'm having a repair on Rafiki as we speak (stress related not damage).

Default gelcoat repair

thanks Mapism, Jfm for the info,I will try again, Rafiki the first two pictires are after I drimeled them out over 52 of them, the third and forth are the completed repair, still in my garage the light is not that good, I was going to use them as an example, the swim platform had three different shades, when I eventually finished rubbing down the whiter colour showed, if you expand and look carfully you will see. I practiced on the swim platform before I started on the boat as I didn't want to mess up.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by T1ony View Post
    thanks Mapism, Jfm for the info,I will try again, Rafiki the first two pictires are after I drimeled them out over 52 of them, the third and forth are the completed repair, still in my garage the light is not that good, I was going to use them as an example, the swim platform had three different shades, when I eventually finished rubbing down the whiter colour showed, if you expand and look carfully you will see. I practiced on the swim platform before I started on the boat as I didn't want to mess up.
    Tony
    if you do not grind back to the mat over the whole area affected, reinforce any delamination with more chop strand or woven roving`s & re gel it will crack again
    Last edited by sailorman; 17-05-12 at 19:19.
    I may be wrong but not always

Default gelcoat repair

Hi sailorman, I did grind right back until the cracks disappeared, thanks anyway
    Tony