Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Just plain stupid

It's a good story, but a depressing one nontheless. A captain gets drunk, assaults an officer, falls asleep on the birdge and finally runs his ship aground.

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources...sReportWeb.pdf

Following on from the earlier report concerning the grounding the 'K Wave', it just isn't funny at all.

philip_stevens is offline Registered User
    Location : live near Saint Ives, Cornwall, moorings at Falmouth, laid-up at Penzance

They were extremely lucky that it was low tide, and they ran onto the sand, and not hit the cliff at high tide.

That bit of the coast is littered with wrecks.

philip_stevens is offline Registered User
    Location : live near Saint Ives, Cornwall, moorings at Falmouth, laid-up at Penzance

Adding to my previous post - is this why there are marine accidents??

The vessel was a British warship. Note the TSS. (Perhaps someone with a grasp of Photoshop could do an overlay).
    Last edited by philip_stevens; 09-07-12 at 13:39.

penfold is offline Registered User
    Location : On the Clyde with a good view of where Kip chimney used to be

Looks okay to me, but then I'm not an OOW.

Grünkraft? - nein danke.

This was a British warship? Sigh......

penfold is offline Registered User
    Location : On the Clyde with a good view of where Kip chimney used to be

Ok so he hasn't followed TSS rules to the letter, but given how little traffic there is his actions are hardly likely to confuse anyone or result in a near-miss.
    Grünkraft? - nein danke.

I think he should have followed the TSS, irrespective of the amount of traffic around. Looking at his track when he rounded Hartland Point he couldn't have known what the traffic would have been like by the time he got down there.

I work for a ship management company and if one of our vessels had done this then backsides would have been kicked. Severely kicked.

Seen some pretty poor seamanship from the Grey Funnel line in recent weeks - including one incident involving a live (army) range and no communication with the range, range guard vessels or the CG!

PW

Quote Originally Posted by ferrymaniom View Post
    It's a good story, but a depressing one nontheless. A captain gets drunk, assaults an officer, falls asleep on the birdge and finally runs his ship aground.

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources...sReportWeb.pdf

Following on from the earlier report concerning the grounding the 'K Wave', it just isn't funny at all.
    Both incidents are truly ridiculous.

However its inevitable really with the ever increasing use of flags of convenience and foreign crews.

Im afraid of living in a country full of people of low intelligence, it really scares me that these people are going to vote in the election, if they even get their lazy assess up to do it.