Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Well my only rescue happened off St Albans when we were diving close inshore. When we came to leave, the engine refused to start and we were caught at anchor as the race kicked in. We didn't want to cut the anchor line as we would have been swept into trouble.

Anyway a passing yacht very neatly sailed alongside, took our lines and took the strain while we sorted the anchor, he then towed up back to Kimmeridge while his good lady passed mugs of coffee down to us, and sarnies.

At that point we managed to get the engine spluttering enough to get into Kimmeridge bay. We never managed to trace the yacht so never had the chance to thank him properly. Can't remember the name now, it was about 15 years ago.

Anyway it was a very impressive piece of boat handling under sail which was part of the reason that I went off and learned to sail.

Also a big part of the reason that I am happy with both stinkies and raggies

Quote Originally Posted by Chrusty 1 View Post
    Why do you want to wave to everybody? It's just weird. I mean, you don't wave at all the other drivers when you are out on the road in your car do you?

It's always struck me as a bit odd, it's like Yoooo-Hooo, I'm in a boat Toooo-Hooooo, Well big deal, if you was in a bus you might have summat to wave about!
    Well, yes. when out in our Motorhome, we always wave to other vans & most wave back. Bikers too tend to nod or wave to each other as they pass. Altho I get fewer responses since I got my scooter.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by DAKA View Post
    Not responding to any one individual as I do not wish to antagonise.

Oaf has been very brave to post this and doesnt deserve any criticism.

Clearly at first sight Oaf is finding enough twits in charge of sailing boats to believe that most sailing boat owners are burks.

In the Solent I have also come to the same conclusion on many occasion .

I like Oaf remain in disbelief that they are all as holes and like to understand why they do such apparently gormless actions and it is only through bravely asking the questions on this forum that one hopes to understand the actions of the apparent idiots.

If it wasnt for the likes of Searuch, Lescargot, and fireball preparing to share with us why they are apparent idiots on the water we would never learn why they pull such death defying , common-sense defeating stunts infront of our anchors, it is their explanations which allow us to tolerate the apparent idiots.

(ie weedy engines , poorly maintained as they have a back up sail, deep draft to keep off sandbanks , and total lack of control due to single engine to be able to get in a position to help.)

Perhaps not such total rowlock brains in this particular instance
    Thank you for the few kind words.

I hasten to add that there shouldn't be a "total lack of control" but there will be difficulties, particularly at slow speed or if sails are up & foresail is backed. Similarly, a long keeled boat will not turn quickly or reverse well unless the owner really knows his stuff.

I sailed off my anchor in one spot last year under mizzen & main - nice & easy, but I nearly hit an anchored MoBo because I hadn't noticed that the mizzen (which is behind me) was sheeted too tight & stopping me turning off the wind. Fortunately I spotted the problem & corrected in time to pass cleanly astern - if a little closer than planned.

Many skippers have limited experience of close quarters slow speed manouvering their boats (under motor or sail) and I think you are right that some will fear that they could simply add tp the casualties problems. Others are so concerned with themselves they don't even notice a casualty.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by DAKA View Post
    Not responding to any one individual as I do not wish to antagonise.

Oaf has been very brave to post this and doesnt deserve any criticism.

Clearly at first sight Oaf is finding enough twits in charge of sailing boats to believe that most sailing boat owners are burks.

In the Solent I have also come to the same conclusion on many occasion .

I like Oaf remain in disbelief that they are all as holes and like to understand why they do such apparently gormless actions and it is only through bravely asking the questions on this forum that one hopes to understand the actions of the apparent idiots.

If it wasnt for the likes of Searuch, Lescargot, and fireball preparing to share with us why they are apparent idiots on the water we would never learn why they pull such death defying , common-sense defeating stunts infront of our anchors, it is their explanations which allow us to tolerate the apparent idiots.

(ie weedy engines , poorly maintained as they have a back up sail, deep draft to keep off sandbanks , and total lack of control due to single engine to be able to get in a position to help.)

Perhaps not such total rowlock brains in this particular instance
    Almost a back-handed compliment there...
    Warning - Internet forums may contain nuts

Talking

[QUOTE=Chrusty 1;3550909]Why do you want to wave to everybody? It's just weird. I mean, you don't wave at all the other drivers when you are out on the road in your car do you?

QUOTE]

It's part of being sociable and friendly to one's fellow man...obviously something alien to you.

Chrusty 1 Guest

[QUOTE=Dazedkipper;3551529]
    Why do you want to wave to everybody? It's just weird. I mean, you don't wave at all the other drivers when you are out on the road in your car do you?

QUOTE]

It's part of being sociable and friendly to one's fellow man...obviously something alien to you.
    Oh yes.....Obviously I see that being sociable and friendly to your fellow man doesn't stretch to your comments on this forum though.

OAF is offline Registered User

It's always struck me as a bit odd!
    When driving my Landrover other Landy owners often wave and smile, when I had my Ferrari the same thing happened and come to think about it, it happens a lot when you have a rarely seen vehicle and you are spotted by another owner, agreed you Can't say hello and wave at every boat that you see, especially when hundreds of boats are dotting around Hamble and the Solent, But a smile is achievable, isn't it?

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

We are borg.

Diesel prices will be raised until you are assimilated.

Resistance is futile.

Quote Originally Posted by OAF View Post
    When driving my Landrover other Landy owners often wave and smile, when I had my Ferrari the same thing happened and come to think about it, it happens a lot when you have a rarely seen vehicle and you are spotted by another owner, agreed you Can't say hello and wave at every boat that you see, especially when hundreds of boats are dotting around Hamble and the Solent, But a smile is achievable, isn't it?
    Do you smile at all other cars, or just other Landrovers?
    Warning - Internet forums may contain nuts

epervier is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    We are borg.

Diesel prices will be raised until you are assimilated.

Resistance is futile.

I dare say that the price of fuel will drive us into the sailing fraternity at some point in the future, Kenin Costners "Waterworld" perhaps?
    "It's Better to Have Memories Than Dreams"
    "blow Q, cycle main vents"