Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I see Chrusty1 has now updated his profile and removed all his details. When I looked yesterday his occupation stated Marina Manager, I do wonder if he is a bit more friendly with his berth holders or is the place empty

Anyway, I am based on the Solent and come across all sorts, but I have to say I find it about the same whether stinkpot or raggie, some friendly some ignore you. I have rescued both types and received thanks and a look of appreciation. All I hope for, if I am in need of help, I just hope a raggie or stinkpot will assist. But to date, when I had engine failure and was drifting, seastart has always been there and are very quick to get things moving again.

With regards to OP, I would expect anyone who needed help to at least raise their hand/wave, however I would still ask if they are okay if I see the engine hatch open.

Quote Originally Posted by Angele View Post
    BTW, how do I differentiate an engine hatch from a tender garage?
    Engine hatches can open either way, but if the hinge is towards the stern, and there's no easy access to the water from it, it's not going to be useable as a tender garage.

A tender garage normally opens the "other" way, to make it easier to drop off the client, errm, I meant launch the tender. Engines are either then accessed via a hatch in the bottom surface of the garage, or from another hatch somewhere else. Normally found on "med" style boats.

PaulGooch is offline Registered User

A few years ago, an elderly sailor tied his boat to the river bank in the tidal Nene, then fell asleep on a falling tide. When he awoke, he was stuck fast and listing badly (bilge keel ) Hi mast was over so far he couldn't get a reply on the VHF, had to call the CG with his mobile. The CG called the local swing bridge up to see if anyone was there to help, but the guy couldn't leave the bridge. We not been out of the river too long and was in The Wash, just about to drop anchor for some fishing. We called the CG back and explained where we were and asked if we could be of assistance and they asked if we'd go back to make sure he was OK. We went back and made sure he was OK, but by the time we got there, two guys in a CG 4x4 were there, they'd got the skipper off the yacht and ran several lines from the boat to shore, staking them to the bank. Might have been nice if they'd have called us back to let us know. By the time we got back to the yacht, the tide was too low to get back out of the shallow channel to The Wash, so we went back to the marina.

Didn't matter to us what sort of boat it was, he was a fellow boater in need of assistance. Didn't matter so much that we missed a day out on the boat, better that than hear he'd lost his boat, or worse, just because we couldn't be bothered to resond.
    Jeanneau Merry Fisher 805 For Sale. www.gooch.co.uk

jfm is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    Yes, we'll said.

As we all know there are good and bad on both sides. I once towed a yacht into Salcombe, his rudder had failed, used one of my long tow ropes which he couldn't release from his cleat when HM took over so I let go at my end. He saw where I moored but made no effort to either return my rope or offer any thanks.

Then on another occasion I towed a Hardy 25 (motorboat) back to Exmouth from about 5 miles out, the opposite way to where I wanted to go, got him back onto a berth safely. Again no thanks.

So good and bad on both sides. Generalisations are pointless.
    Yup, you cannot generalise. Magnum and I towed a raggie in a few years ago. 45 footer, with a busted engine and scared family on board. I even pushed him right into his stern-to berth with my tender. He brought round cases of wine the next day :-)

Re: waving. I remember once waving at another MG and then being ticked off by the owner who asked me if I would be so good as to desist from waving at any MG which did not have wire wheels.

Kawasaki is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Searush View Post
    Hiya, Dave,

Of course we are all aliens
    I bleedin knew it!
    Ta Rushie
    Explains a lot

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Yup, you cannot generalise. Magnum and I towed a raggie in a few years ago. 45 footer, with a busted engine and scared family on board. I even pushed him right into his stern-to berth with my tender. He brought round cases of wine the next day :-)
    Probably the same chap I rescued, feeling guilty, so I claim at least one case of that wine!

OAF is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by benjenbav View Post
    Re: waving. I remember once waving at another MG and then being ticked off by the owner who asked me if I would be so good as to desist from waving at any MG which did not have wire wheels.
    So we're you waving at MG Maestros?

Quote Originally Posted by OAF View Post
    So we're you waving at MG Maestros?
    No it was just a rubber bumper, rostyle wheel MGB. It looked perfectly harmless to me but the young lady owner of my vehicle seemed to take it very personally and we were never on such good terms after that.

Nearly 30 years on, the scars of that one foolish mistake have still not healed.

Chrusty 1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scubadoo View Post
    I see Chrusty1 has now updated his profile and removed all his details. When I looked yesterday his occupation stated Marina Manager, I do wonder if he is a bit more friendly with his berth holders or is the place empty

Anyway, I am based on the Solent and come across all sorts, but I have to say I find it about the same whether stinkpot or raggie, some friendly some ignore you. I have rescued both types and received thanks and a look of appreciation. All I hope for, if I am in need of help, I just hope a raggie or stinkpot will assist. But to date, when I had engine failure and was drifting, seastart has always been there and are very quick to get things moving again.

With regards to OP, I would expect anyone who needed help to at least raise their hand/wave, however I would still ask if they are okay if I see the engine hatch open.
    I don't know who's profile you was looking at sunshine, but it wasn't mine so don't talk out of your arse. My profile has never had any details in it whatsoever, and never will.