Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The moorings at Pag are maintained. The seaward ones are mostly Roach Sailing Association.
    There is a visitors buoy almost opposite the pontoon.

I see you have a Galion 22 - that is going to be my post retirement boat, excellent choice.
    Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind.
    Robert Green Ingersoll

I anchored at Horseshoe Bay, I think it's called, along the Roach; twas OK. Several times picked up a buoy at Paglesham. Last time we were a bit late out of the Plough and Sail and the tide had left the end of the pontoon dried out. Decided to hump the dinghy up and then round to the slip which went a bit further out but still involved a plod in the mud. Good East Coast larks but next time will make sure we have more water

neale is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddy View Post
    I anchored at Horseshoe Bay, I think it's called, along the Roach; twas OK. Several times picked up a buoy at Paglesham. Last time we were a bit late out of the Plough and Sail and the tide had left the end of the pontoon dried out. Decided to hump the dinghy up and then round to the slip which went a bit further out but still involved a plod in the mud. Good East Coast larks but next time will make sure we have more water
    Yes if you are using the Plough and Sail it is a good idea to take a tide table with you

Quote Originally Posted by Boz View Post
    Hi all
    This might sound odd to the experienced on the ECMF, but you need to know the circumstances.

I have anchored a thousand times in the past both as crew and as Skipper, but this weekend will be the first time in my own boat and the first time with a very inexperienced wife.

I plan to sail from Fambridge, down river and spend Saturday Night at anchor round the corner on the Roach with a view to having a look at the real North Sea on Sunday before returning to Fambridge. With my wife it is 'softlee softlee catchee monkey' at this stage of our 'Own Boat' sailing adventure.

Any advice on the Roach anchorage would be appreciated, as for some reason I'm feeling a little anxious.....

Thanks....
    and Regards
    Boz
    We passed you on Saturday evening en route for Yokesfleet, and again this morning.
    I hope you had a peaceful night, the wind was a little north of east and quite fresh, so could have been a bit lumpy on the ebb.

Boz is offline Registered User

Default Thanks for all the advice, its' always worth asking

Quote Originally Posted by DanTribe View Post
    We passed you on Saturday evening en route for Yokesfleet, and again this morning.
    I hope you had a peaceful night, the wind was a little north of east and quite fresh, so could have been a bit lumpy on the ebb.
    It was a bit lumpy with wind over tide, and I was in more water than I planned, but all in all a successful and pleasant experience. The weekend went exactly to plan, even the excursion to the Crouch Buoy on Sunday Morning.......however

You must have seen the guy who anchored North of us with a blown out furling genoa this morning. He apparently tried unsuccessfully to get it down and then tried to lower his mast which crashed onto his deck and, I thought, bent at the crosstrees....

We enquired later if he would be OK and he thanked us and said he would. We really felt for him, it looked like serious money to sort it out...
    Last edited by Boz; 27-05-12 at 20:44.
    "Keep true to the dreams of your youth."
    Friedrich Schiller (1759 - 1805)

Quote Originally Posted by Boz View Post
    It was a bit lumpy with wind over tide, and I was in more water than I planned, but all in all a successful and pleasant experience. The weekend went exactly to plan, even the excursion to the Crouch Buoy on Sunday Morning.......however

You must have seen the guy who anchored North of us with a blown out furling genoa this morning. He apparently tried unsuccessfully to get it down and then tried to lower his mast which crashed onto his deck and, I thought, bent at the crosstrees....

We enquired later if he would be OK and he thanked us and said he would. We really felt for him, it looked like serious money to sort it out...
    I thought I saw a mast up as we approached, but it was down when we came past. I went close to see if he needed assistance but he seemed to be OK and I assumed that he had taken it down deliberately. Not nice.